December 7, 2017

Thankful Thursday: Life Goes On

It's been a bit of a tough week around here, but there is still so much to be thankful for. Joining in today with Rebecca Jo @ Knit By God's Hand for...


This week I am thankful:

* Life has a way of going on even when we think it can't possibly. With every day that passes the pain in our hearts loosens its grip just a little. It doesn't mean that we'll forget, just that we will go on with the business of living.

* To have something good to focus on this week. I have been helping my daughter with plans and details for the party for our youngest grandson's first birthday on Sunday. His birthday isn't until the 13th, but you know....weekends were made for parties. I can't believe this little sweetie has been brightening our lives for a year!


* My poodle is being all cuddly and snuggly. I thought maybe it was because I just had her groomed and she doesn't have much fur so was feeling the cold weather, but I think it is dawning on her that she is alone now. She doesn't seem to be liking it. She tried to dig through the bedroom door today while I was at work. My husband says the next dog is his choice (the German Shepherd he's always wanted), but my heart isn't ready for that just yet. I may have to get over it for the poodle.

* To be back on my prescription diet pills. According to my scale, I've lost another two or three pounds. As soon as the weather warms up just a little, I've promised the poodle we will start walking a bit since it is just her now. (I had this self-inflicted guilt thing before if I took her and left Elvis at home...even though he really couldn't walk, I felt soooo guilty.)

* The calendar is filling up with parties and activities these weeks leading up to Christmas. Busy is good right now when the house feels so quiet.

* For the thoughtfulness of a sweet friend who texted me yesterday to see if I'd like some of the potato soup she'd just made. Of course I did, she is an amazing cook and everything she makes is fabulous. I got home from work to find her waiting in my driveway with an entire crock pot of soup, the cheese to sprinkle on it, a loaf of her homemade French bread, and just for good measure a container of her chicken salad that I like so much. All because I had to say goodbye to my dog. I was floored. A lot of people don't get how much it hurts.

* More than anything, for the nearly 12 years we were blessed to have with Elvis. God brought him to us for a season when He knew we would need his big heart and comfort to get through. He took him home when his job was done.

I could find a lot more to be thankful for but if I don't get moving I'm going to be late getting back to work for the afternoon. Be blessed my friends!


8 comments:

  1. Its so hard to adjust to that kind of loss. Animals always feel it too. Its why I always say I like having,3 dogs... At least theres another one near when something happens to another. Its hard on them.
    Glad you have that sweet boy to help ease your aching heart. & how has it been a year????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd ever be able to sell my husband on 3 dogs. He really isn't a pet person (except for the German Shepherd he dreams of having) and tolerated 2 for me.

      I have no idea how it's been a year. It has flown by!

      Delete
  2. Love what you've written about God's timing. God bless your friend's giving heart!

    When we adopted Macie and Grace -- only 5 months after Caraleigh passed -- I did NOT want them. In the least. But well-meaning friends said they might help Tom recover. Darned if they weren't right; and despite my best intentions, I've fallen in love all over again. I've a suspicion the poodle will help. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she will. She, herself, was bought at a garage sale to help ease the ache of losing my other poodle.

      Delete
  3. Awww...such a sweet thankful post. My heart hurts for you at the loss of your sweet Elvis. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post. I know it is so hard to lose your friend. I know ours feel just like family.

    Your grandson is so cute. I can't believe he's a year old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do find their way into your heart, don't they?

      And man, the year went so FAST!!

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.