December 9, 2017

Saturday 9: My Church

Good morning and welcome to the Saturday 9, the no-rules meme hosted each week by Sam and what a great job she does! Thanks, Sam. If you enjoy the questions and my answers and want to read more or play along yourself be sure to pop over and visit the site.

Saturday 9: My Church (2016)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a woman who loves singing along with her car radio. Is that something you enjoy? Absolutely, but only when the car is empty or my husband is the only other one there. I don't want to be scaring anyone and my voice could certainly do that. I've likened it in the past to a bull moose with a cold. But I love music and enjoy cutting loose in the car.

2)  The video begins with Maren Morris finishing her cigarette before getting behind the wheel. Do you allow smoking in your car?  No, aside from thinking it stinks and yellows everything, it absolutely kills my sinuses and I end up with a pounding headache any time I'm around cigarette smoke.

3) In this song, Maren admits she's lied. What's the last fib you told? This time of year it probably had a little something to do with a jolly old elf in a red fur suit.

4) She mentions having her radio on the FM dial. Are you loyal to a single radio station? Or do you spin the dial? I'm loyal to a few stations. I bounce around between a couple of "classic" stations (I refuse to call the music of my youth 'oldies.'), a Christian station, and a country station.

5) Maren was inspired to write this song while on a long car trip from Nashville to Los Angeles. When do you get your best ideas? (In the shower, behind the wheel, over lunch with friends ...) I'd say behind the wheel. I spend the biggest part of my day driving so I've got an awful lot of time to think about stuff and I tend to do a lot of praying on my drive to work...I get a lot of ideas or things get clearer when I'm praying.
 
6) She performed this song on Saturday Night Live last year. The host that week was John Cenna. Do you follow professional wrestling? Not these days, but I loved it when I was a teen. My mom and I even went to Pittsburgh to see a big match with all the big names of the day back in the 80s.

7) In 2016, when this song was popular, Alex Rodriguez played his final Major League Baseball game. He has embarked on a second career as a broadcaster. Would you be comfortable on camera?  No. I don't think I'm one of those people that the camera loves and is kind to. I always hate how I look and sound, so I'm very self-conscious about it.

8) A 2016 study revealed that 43% of Americans own mutual funds, many in their 401(k)s and IRAs. Are you involved in the stock market?
  I have a couple of tiny IRAs that we haven't added to in years, but that's all. My husband's company offers a 401K and I have always wanted to participate, but my husband is dead set against it.

9) Random question: You have something awkward and embarrassing that you simply must tell a pal. You know your friend will not be happy with the news. Would you prefer to deliver it by email, in a phone call, or face to face?  I would prefer not to do it at all, but if I absolutely must, I'd probably opt for the easiest way to do it. If it's that important I wouldn't do it by email, but I'd do it by phone rather than face to face. I loathe confrontation.


That's it for this week's Saturday 9.
I'll try to be back here tomorrow for Sunday Stealing,
but no promises. Our youngest grandson's
1st birthday party is tomorrow and it's
going to be a pretty big deal with lots of family.

15 comments:

  1. I just don't get why anyone is still smoking. There is nothing good that comes out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having lost my dad to lung cancer, I agree. When my son took up chewing and then smoking I wanted to plant my foot where the sun don't shine for being so stupid. He's vaping now. I don't love that, either, but I guess it's a little better.

      Delete
  2. #7 was a tough question for me to answer--I mean, I speak in front of groups all day every day, so would it be harder to be on camera??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I don't know. I don't like speaking in front of a group without the camera, either, so I'm probably no help.

      Delete
  3. I got addicted to satellite radio, they have a number of classic rock channels and unlike FM you don't have to change station when you drive to the next state

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the stations on satellite radio, but we are in a mountainous area and seemed to lose the signal pretty often. More often than I thought it was worth paying for at any rate.

      Delete
  4. When banks stopped paying any interest to speak of, a lot of people had to move to mutual funds, or just stick money in the mattress. If banks were paying 4.5% like they did when I first married, we wouldn't have any money in the stock market, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you....the 80s were crazy financial times, weren't they?

      Delete
  5. I tried getting satellite radio for our car, but they don't make it for that model. I don't understand the technology, but apparently it would involve major remodeling, so I'm not even tempted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know I kept losing the signal here in the mountains so I didn't keep my subscription up.

      Delete
  6. As always, it was a fun Q & A on this Saturday. I enjoyed your answers!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's sweet that you're comfortable singing in front of your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the same reason you said, I do my best thinking behind the wheel.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.