December 3, 2017

Sunday Stealing: By the Book

Welcome to the first Sunday Stealing of December!  Is it just me or has this year flown by. I'm feeling like I just might go to bed tonight and wake up to tomorrow being Christmas.  Time...slow down already!  Ah, well, it is, as my husband says, what it is. We may as well strap in, hold on and enjoy the ride and I am surely enjoying the Christmas season this year. After a few years of not exactly loving Christmas as I learned to adjust to all the changes of children growing up and doing there own things and older family members leaving us, I seem to have my mojo back and am LOVING all things Christmas. So...let's get on with the questions.

Of this week's questions, Bev says:


This was stolen from designindigo, a site which no longer seems to be live.  But we all seem to be readers, so I thought this was fun to do.

1. Do you prefer hardcover, paperback, or Kindle...and why?  They all have their purposes and moments...I keep books I want to read, but not keep on my Nook so they aren't stacked up around the house...paperbacks are smaller and lighter for taking to work or on vacation and it's not such a big deal if they get messed up...and hardcover books are great for collecting. If I had to choose only one form, though, it would be hardcover. There is just something about holding a book in my hands...the weight of it, the smell of the pages (be they freshly printed or old and musty), the soft whisper of a turning page, it's an experience of the senses.

2. If I were to own a book shop I would call it ...Buy the Book or Bookaholic.

3. My favorite quote from a book (mention the title) is ... 
“Success is doing well when everyone thought that you would not. I am a success.” ― Patricia WoodLottery.

4. The author (alive or dead) I would love to have lunch with would be ...
James Rollins or Janet Evanovich. He is brilliant and would be very interesting to discuss things with and I think she would be hilarious.

5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except for the SAS survival guide, it would be ...
the Holy Bible. There is so much in there and I see something new every time I read it. And as a book it has everything...drama, comedy, deception, betrayal, adventure, love, wars, and more.

6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that ...
automatically restores and repairs old or damaged books.

7. The smell of an old book reminds me of ....
history and times past.

8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be....
I think it would be fun to be Stephanie Plum in Janet Evanovich's By the Numbers series. At least for a little while. I don't know that I'd like to be her forever as I like my quiet, down times and Stephanie doesn't seem to ever have any of those.

9. The most over-rated book of all time is....
Frankenstein. I've tried to read it several times. I just cannot get into it. Not at all.

10. I hate it when a book....
has an end that leaves me hanging.  I like neat endings, even in a series. Which, by the way, I kind of have a love/hate thing with series. I love the books, but I HATE waiting for the next book in a series. 



9 comments:

  1. One of my most favorite books was "my sister's keeper" by Jodi Piccoult. I cried my eyes out when I read it. THEN it came to the theater and about 25 minutes prior to the end I started crying again. THEN... they changed the ending. I wasn't crying anymore. I was angry that anyone who has not read the book, was missing out on the most amazing part. bleah.

    I'm with you on the Bible. I am sure there are a few parts I could read and reread again!!

    (((hugs, Stacy))
    Mair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through a phase of reading Jodi Piccoult books. I went straight through about 15 of them and had to quit. All of her books put you through the emotional wringer and I was just burnt out on them. I still have them and a couple I haven't read yet. Someday I will get brave enough to pick them up again.

      Delete
  2. I love your answer to #1 ... and "an experience of the senses." Exactly!
    The image you've chosen to accompany this post is great. I want to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked Trixie Belden for #8 because I remembered how much I loved the series and how I would agonize between book releases! I don't think I could keep up with Stephanie Plum's crazy lifestyle, even though it would be amusing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of Trixie! She would definitely have been my pick when I was a tweenager. I thought she was awesome! Yes, I'd only want to be Stephanie Plum for a little while...like for a vacation.

      Delete
  4. I picked Janet Evanovich to lunch with too! I just finished the 24th Stephanie Plum book. Being her would just make me tired, but she does have Joe, Ranger and Diesel....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read 24, too. I really thought she was moving closer to making a decision about the boys, but after this one it seems that decision is far away again.

      Delete
  5. Stephanie Plum gets shot sometimes. I think I'd need somebody a little tamer, although I chose Wonder Woman so what was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least she's faster than bullets with those bracelets of hers.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.