December 4, 2017

It's So Hard to Say Goodbye

My heart is broken today. Our Beagle/Basset mix hound took a sudden and quick turn over the weekend. His tumors grew very rapidly the last couple of weeks and yesterday his hip was very obviously pushed out of place. By the end of the day he couldn't stand unless we helped him get his legs underneath and once he was up he could only take 2 or 3 steps before his legs gave out. I knew it was time, though I'd hoped we'd have more.

So today at a little after 10:00, we said goodbye to the sweetest, most lovable dog there ever was. He was a gentle soul with lots of love to share with everyone. Trust me, he never met you, but if he had, you'd have been his best friend. Especially if you happened to have some food on you. Did I mention he was almost completely motivated by food? It explains his nickname of Chubby Monster.

He wasn't a noisy dog, but the house sure seems quiet today. At least Megan, Cody, Colton and I were all with him till the end. We brought him home and laid him to rest beside his bestest doggie buddy, Scooby, who went on before him nearly 6 years ago.  My boys are together again.




Elvis
February 11, 2006-December 4, 2017

Be healthy and happy until we meet again.

11 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss Stacy. I love the look in his eyes in your pictures. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. Megan and Colton are here again tonight. We are missing him and his sweet presence.

      Delete
  2. Your eulogy for Elvis brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could have met him. Dogs sure know how to give love. We humans are called upon to make some hard decisions concerning our pets. Love & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they do and I'm sure you would have liked him. I never knew how to go about it, but he would have made a good dog to visit nursing homes or something similar.

      Delete
  3. Oh, what a sweet face. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, I wish I could say something profound that might heal your heart. 4 years later, I still grieve for Caraleigh... but I derived so much comfort from reading A Dog's Purpose shortly after. (BTW, I thought the movie was awful.) Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look for it. I would like to read it, but maybe it will help my daughter. She's really struggling with this. I know I will get through with help from the Lord, but she doesn't have that to hang on to.

      Delete
  5. I just could cry.
    Praying your baby is running with all the healthy fur babies tonight.
    Sending you hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is harder yet. He never was a noisy dog and he hadn't been all that active lately, but the house seems so quiet and empty without his presence. :'(

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.