December 1, 2017

Saturday 9: Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

Aw...this week's Saturday 9 makes me sad. David Cassidy is yet another icon from my youth that didn't fare well after being a teen star. Hollywood really does a number on kids.

Anyway, let's get on with the questions and remember the good things about David. Thanks to Sam for the questions and for paying tribute to another star burnt out too soon.

Saturday 9: Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (1971)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

In memory of David Cassidy, who died on 11/21/17.

1) This song mentions celebrating the holidays in "the new old-fashioned way." What's a holiday tradition that began with you (or your generation)? The whole family watching A Christmas Story together at some point after dinner on Christmas Day.

2) The lyrics include dancing, caroling and pumpkin pie. Will you enjoy any of those three between now and year-end? I know there won't be pumpkin pie, but I had a pumpkin gob tonight...does that count? As for caroling, I am a horrid singer. I don't carol. And dancing? Just around here by myself when a good song comes on.

3) David Cassidy and The Partridge Family were intensely popular for a short period of time. For example, this song was from the best-selling Christmas album of the 1971 holiday season. Have you added any holiday music to your collection this year?
  Just a bunch of classical and instrumental CD's that I bought at an auction.

4) In 1971, the official David Cassidy fan club had a membership that exceeded both Elvis' and The Beatles'. Have you ever joined a fan club?  Back at about that same time frame I was a card-carrying member of the Osmond Brothers' fan club. I remember that it cost $5 to join and it was a very big deal that my mom agreed to pay, what was a ridiculous amount at the time, for a couple of pictures and bios.

5) David recalled that his first hero growing up was the Yankees' Mickey Mantle. When you were a little kid, what grown-up did you look up to? When I was a little kid I looked up to all grown-ups. Not what you meant? Okay...I guess I'd have to go with the biologist who ran the research part of the wildlife preserve my dad managed. I wanted to study wildlife just like he did and I used to pester him endlessly with questions.
 
6) David was a notoriously bad driver. In 1990, he was sentenced to traffic school for speeding. He was late for the class because he was stopped for speeding en route. Do you have a "lead foot?" If I'm honest, I do sometimes, but driving a school bus has taught me some patience if nothing else....plus I really shouldn't get points against my CDL.

7) David's parents divorced when he was only four years old. He and his momlived with her parents until he was 10. Have you ever lived in an extended,multi-generational household?
When I was little I lived with my grandparents and twin aunts while Mom did her student teaching and finished school. My great-grandmother stayed with us for a short time, too.

8) In 1971, when David and the Partridge Family were at their height, the US Mint introduced the Eisenhower Silver Dollar. Think of the last thing you bought. Did you pay with cash or plastic or your phone?
  I virtually always use the debit card and I used it this morning to buy a donut.

9) Random holiday question: Let's talk regifting. Tell us about a time you regifted, or you received a present you suspect was regifted.  I have often regifted. If the item is new and can be used by someone else when you aren't using it, what's the problem? I don't know or care if a gift to me was someone else's gift first, but the only time I can think of right off hand when I probably do get a "used" gift is in one of the many gift exchanges I find myself in during the Christmas season. I swear every workplace, club, organization, church, etc. has a gift exchange. It can get ridiculous.


That's it so I am going to post and call it a night. I've spent the last two evenings, along with girlfriends from high school, painting a Christmas gift at a local craft mall (which is owned by another friend from high school!). I am not the crafty type so a lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into the project (and it's a darn good thing they served wine) but after 7 hours of labor I finally finished and got to come home. I plan to give it to our daughter who loves owls. What do you think? Mine is the one on the left.


17 comments:

  1. Have you ever read "C'mon, Get Happy?" It's David Cassidy's autobiography. (I don't know if it's still in print; maybe your library has it ...) He had a melancholy life, troubled and troubling even before he went into show business himself. May he rest in the peace that eluded him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never seen that one. I've read all the ones by the Brady Bunch kids...whacked up, how all those kids acted in real life.

      Delete
  2. Your comment about looking up to adults when you were little brought memories of my grandfather, the only thing that I remember of him are his wing tipped shoes and playing around them with my toys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always fascinated by the things our youngest mind remembers.

      Delete
  3. Oh, how cute is that Owl craft?!!! You did a great job on yours and your daughter will love it, for sure! Your comment about the biologist at the wildlife preserve made me think of the character Gerry Durrell in The Durrells in Corfu Masterpiece series. We really love that show! Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No, I haven't even heard of the show let alone watched it.

      Delete
  4. Your owl painting is adorable! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was never a big Osmond fan. It sounds like you have had an eventful week. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little owl paintings are very cute,and neatly done. I’d proudly but either one up on my wall.
    Extended families are part of my childhood, too. My best memories come from that time, too.
    Have a happy weekend, and thank you for not speeding. 👍đŸģ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the big extended families of our childhoods were great. I am sorry my kids didn't have that because of everyone being so spread out over the countryside.

      Delete
  7. I'd never heard of the term 'gob' ... and Googled it a sec ago. 'Feel so much smarter now, lol.

    Love your owl family: Daddy, Mommy and Colton. The 'aged' finish (v. bright white on the right) is appealing, as well. Did y'all use stencil lettering?The print looks nearly identical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know the term "whoopie pie?" That's what they call gobs out to the east of us in Amish country.

      Thanks. Yes, we used stencils for the letters.

      Delete
  8. I think you did a great job with your craft. I'm gob smacked at your effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Gob smacked...ha! I see what you did there.

      Delete
  9. Loved the owls. I could no more do something like that than fly. Very talented!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.