November 24, 2017

Saturday 9: The Man in Black

Hello! I hope everyone had an enjoyable Thanksgiving and has survived the "fun" of Black Friday. To be honest, I skipped the whole Black Friday thing. I did a little bit of online shopping yesterday and a little this morning.

I confess I needed a prescription filled so I did venture out to Walmart this evening and to my surprise it was less crowded than a normal Friday evening. All the checkouts were open and there were no lines at all. I couldn't believe it, so I caved and did a little extra shopping while I was there.

Sorry to be doing this on Friday evening, but our son and his family are coming tomorrow and it will be a busy day....Christmas Market in the morning, decorating in the afternoon, dinner out at a favorite restaurant, and then loading up in cars to go see the big light display at the county fairgrounds.

Thanks, as always, to our hostess, Sam, for coming up with the questions and providing the spot to link up to the Saturday 9.  This week's choice is a personal favorite.

 

Saturday 9: The Man in Black (1971)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Black is this week's signature color because Friday, November 24, was "Black Friday," when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to the stores. Did you score any "Black Friday" bargains?  Just a few and they were found online or at the above mentioned end of day trip. I got all the Pioneer Woman cookbooks for my daughter who is obsessed with her, a couple of classic games redone in a Spiderman theme for our oldest grandson, and a great deal on a couple of inflatables for the front yard (hey, a grandma's gotta do what a grandma's gotta do).

2) Among the biggest the Black Friday advertisers are Target, Kohl's, Macy's and Best Buy. If you could have a $100 gift card to any one of those stores, which would you choose?  What would you buy?  I'd probably choose Target because they have awesome games and toys that you can't find elsewhere...a lot of old classics.

3) Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes. Do your Thursday-Sunday plans include pigging out or watching a game?  Well, we can check pigging out off the list. That was definitely done yesterday (okay, and again today with leftovers). No football in the plans, however. My husband has never been a fan and while I do love my Steelers, I usually pass on watching since he doesn't enjoy it.

4) Thanksgiving weekend is a major time for travel. How far did you venture from home for the holiday?  About 100 feet up the sidewalk to my mom's house.

5) This week's song, "Man in Black," is about a singer who refuses to wear bright colors. What color are you wearing as you answer these questions? Blue jeans and a dark green shirt.
 
6) Johnny Cash first performed this song at Nashville's Vanderbilt University. When were you last on a college campus? What brought you there?  I guess it was a couple of years ago.  My mom and I went to see a musical review at St. Vincent College here in town.

7) The average American man wears a 10.5 size shoe, the average woman wears a 7.5. Johnny Cash wore a size 13. Are your shoes bigger or smaller than the national average?  Bigger.  Every time I was pregnant I gained a shoe size and they never went back to the former size after the pregnancies. Thanks kids!!

8) He preferred his coffee very strong. To make sure what he drank was to his liking, he carried a jar of instant coffee with him and would ladle it into his cup in restaurants. What about you? What's your standard coffee order?
  My standard coffee order is Diet Coke. I can't stand coffee.

9) While in the air force, Cash wrote short stories under the pseudonym "Johnny Dollar." Make up a pen name for yourself.
  Laurel Highlands...it's the name of the area I live in.


Well, I am off to get a few more things done before heading to bed.  Enjoy the rest of your Thanksgiving holiday if you are lucky enough to be off.  See you Sunday for Sunday Stealing!

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm going to have to remember it just in case I ever need one.

      Delete
  2. The Pioneer Woman cookbook sounds interesting, do they have recipes from beck then or are they modern recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are modern. She has a show on the cooking channel and a blog with a ginormous following.

      Delete
    2. And Walmart sells a crap-ton of her kitchen stuff.

      Delete
  3. I haven't been to the Target toy department, but this weekend I'll go because I have three (3!) holiday toy drives to support this year. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I love their toys and end up spending way too much time browsing.

      Delete
  4. "Laurel Highlands" sounds nice ... romantic, too!

    That's a nice gesture, not watching football because your hubby doesn't enjoy it. I've become "meh" about most sports, save this afternoon's Big Game (The Iron Bowl) where I'll probably scream myself silly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like football, but I really don't care if I see it or not except for my Steelers.

      Thanks...the name does kind of sound like the heroine in a bodice-ripping historical romanced doesn't it? LOL

      Delete
  5. You and The Gal reminded me I need to pick up my Angel Tree requests. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think our stores have their Angel Trees up yet. I haven't seen them, anyway. :(

      Delete
  6. I’ll be doing requests from the mall gift trees this year. I’m sure the trees have been up for a few days already.
    It’s lovely that you are so close to your mom’s house for the Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice this year because of our poor old hound, but usually we have to go up on the ridge to my stepdad's house as he and Mom don't move back to "the city" until deer season is over.

      I love that so many of you are doing toy drives and Angel Tree gifts. Go Saturday 9-ers!

      Delete
  7. I like your pen name. Very cool. I will have to check out the toy area of Target. I have no reason to go there so no clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll like it. Lots of unusual and old classics that you may have forgotten about. They do have the new stuff, too.

      Delete
  8. Pigging out is something that we should all be proud of doing this holiday weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, for Monday it's back on the diet wagon. Sigh.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed your answers! Glad you got to pig out on Thursday...I did too! Loving the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went up to Mom's yesterday for leftovers, but she moved the rest of them up to the ridge when they went back up today. I was dreaming of making a recipe for a pie using all the leftovers...I have a turkey breast in the freezer, guess I'll have to thaw it so I can make it. Can't you just imagine how yummy a pie filled with turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing cranberry sauce and gravy would be?

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.