September 27, 2017

Here Comes the Hodgepodge!

My answers to the Wednesday Hodgepodge are going to press a bit late, thanks to an early dismissal in the school district I work for. I didn't have time to get to it this morning, but it is nice to get home by 3:30 P.M....you know, like normal people do!

Anyway, on with the Hodgepodge...and please, don't forget to stop over to visit our hostess, Joyce, at From This Side of the Pond.



1. What pets did you have while growing up? Tell us a little something about them.

We had a tri-colored (black, white, and tan) Collie named Prince. Then there was Nikki, a black miniature Poodle we got from a family with 3 young children who terrorized her. She did not like kids. Not even a little. Not even me, until I grew up and went off to college...then she tolerated me when I came home. We had a chocolate Poodle named Hershey for a while, but as a male who refused to quit marking his territory, Mom said he had to go when we got new carpet. Other than those, I had turtles, fish, and while they weren't technically my pets, when we lived in the wildlife preserve my best buddies were some of the tame research deer and a ferret named Jellyroll.

2. What is one thing you absolutely must accomplish today?

I've already done the one thing I had to do today and that was zip up to my stepdad's farm and pick up the last of the wedding stuff and say goodbye to my aunt who was flying back to Florida today.

3. Where were you ten years ago? What were you doing there?

Right here. Same house. Same job. Our daughter hadn't graduated from high school yet. Our son had quit college and was living with our future daughter-in-law. We didn't have any grandchildren yet.

4. September 26th is National Dumpling Day. Did you celebrate? Apple dumpling, xiao long bao (steamed Chinese dumpling), chicken and dumplings, pirogi, matzoh balls, or gnocchi...which dumpling on this list would be your dumpling of choice? 

No, I didn't celebrate. I didn't even know it was a thing. Of those choices, pierogies are my favorite kind of dumpling...not that I've ever thought of them as dumplings before. I live not too far from Pittsburgh and aside from the Irish, the other big heritage around here is Polish/Hungarian. Pierogies are a common meal or side dish. They're very versatile.

Have you ever made homemade dumplings of any kind?

No. I'm a slacker in that department. My mom has made them, but I've never even tried.

5. 'There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find an adventure and those who go secretly hoping they don't.' William Trogdon

So which kind are you?

Bring on the adventure! I love seeing and trying new things. The same old, same old gets to me after a while. 

6. Insert your own random thought here.

Our daughter's wedding turned out beautifully! We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. Well, a bit cooler would have been nice since I ended up with a moderate case of heat exhaustion.

The best compliment I received was from one of our nieces who used to work as a wedding planner for a large luxury hotel. And that compliment was, "Omg, everything is perfect!!"

And it was from the setting (both for the wedding and the reception)...


The "altar" was an arch made by my husband from antique doors
and a small wooden table, painted to match. Straw bales
formed the "pews" with sunflower printed cloths and
pots of mums in bronze and white.


The tables were clothed in ivory linen, navy napkins,
and burlap runners. Center pieces were log slices
with decorated mason jar vases, small
pumpkins and votive candles.

...to the last moments with a daughter before she became a wife...

Sharing a moment and a bit of advice.

A last moment for Mom and Dad before the ceremony.

...to the ceremony...

The lovely Matron of Honor...and also our niece-in-law.

Our beautiful granddaughter pulling our grandson.
The sign on the wagon announces to Daddy
that Mommy is on the way! Behind them, two
sweet grandnieces are the flower girls.

This sweet girl charmed everyone.


Here comes the bride!

The unity sand ceremony, symbolizing that
two shall become one.

Watching with pride and delight between my husband and my son.

Mr. & Mrs....sealed with a kiss.

...to the amazing, yummy goodies...

Here in southwest PA the cookie table is a tradition.
My 73 year old mother made ALL of the cookies herself!

The custom cupcake display by a very talented neighborhood lady.
We are very sad that she's retiring at the end of the year.
Our little grandson's 1st birthday will be her last event.

...to all the fun and memories made at the reception...

First dance as husband and wife.

A special dance between the bride and her son.
Part way through she invited all the mothers and
their children to join her on the dance floor.

Pappy and our oldest grandson bustin' a move surrounded by cousins.

The bridal party at the head table. My husband built the wall
of pallets behind them. He also built the bar for the event from
pallets. Our son thinks he should take it up as a side job or
a retirement plan!

A quiet moment with Mommy.

Dancing with my son during the mothers' dance.

Dancing with my mom during the mothers' dance.

A sweet moment between big brother and little sister.

Mom and Dad are the last to dance the bridal dance and kiss her
goodbye as the groom tries to break into the circle to claim
his bride. He's a skinny thing so the first time his friends
picked him up and ran across the field with him!

Daddy dancing with his baby girl.

The bride and grandma.

The next generation of cousins! And would you
believe 5 of them are missing?


...to the start of a happy life together.










4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, it all does look perfect! Your daughter is beautiful and chose the perfect dress! You look fabulous and that last-minute dress find is perfect! Daddy's face while dancing with his 'baby girl' is priceless. I enjoyed reading your entire Hodgepodge, but your random is just the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Our girl did look like a princess and Daddy's face...there wasn't a dry eye in the place during that dance.

      Delete
  2. Oh Stacy! I was going to lead with, "I love your dress" .. and then I saw that photo of your hubby hugging his daughter and those eyes! Made me suddenly tear up, and I've not even met y'all. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to pop over and see the wedding pics since I missed most of the HP last week. Everything is so lovely! Your dress is so pretty and your daughter looks like a beaming bride. Nothing sweeter than a Daddy-daughter photo. They get me every time. And that cupcake table and display! Wow! Best wishes to the newlyweds!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.