And I just want to thank Bud for all the years he put in at the helm of Sunday Stealing and Bev for agreeing to take on the job of keeping it alive. Much appreciation for both of you!
Saturday 9: I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
From the archives
1) This week's song was performed by James Cagney in the famous movie of the same name. Do you plan on going to the movies this holiday weekend?
No. We just got our son to figure out how to hook our DVD player back up and we have quite a few unwatched movies so we'll work on those before paying a ridiculous amount at the theater.
2) Though known for his larger-than-life screen presence, Cagney was only 5'5". How tall are you?
I'm the same height as Cagney.
3) During the Revolutionary War, General Washington celebrated the 4th of July by giving his troops a double ration of rum. Will you imbibe any spirits this holiday weekend?
I had a wine cooler last night. Other than that....probably just a couple of glasses of wine. Since the family's had cookouts the last two weekends there are no plans for one on the 4th and my husband might be working, anyway.
4) American history was one of Crazy Sam's best subjects in school. Science was her worst. In which class did you earn your worst grades?
Math. English and anything else involving reading and writing were my best subjects. I actually took every elective English course my school offered.
5) The Fourth of July means we're in the middle of summer. Are you careful about applying sunscreen?
Yes! I have fair, freckled skin and I've already had 3 or 4 second degree sunburns when I was in my teens and 20s.
6) Mosquito bites can be a major summer annoyance. Are you scratching any itches right now?
Yes. We visited friends of ours who live out in the country last night and we sat outside until we thought the skeeters were going to carry us off. Plus, having wandered all over their property to see the animals (potbelly pig, fainting goats, mini donkey, chickens, ducks) in sandals and capris, I'm more than a little paranoid about ticks. Every itch I've had since last night requires running to the mirror to see if there's a tick.
7) Emergency rooms report an increase in wrist injuries in summer, with people falling off bikes and skateboards and jamming their wrists catching hard-hit softballs. Have you recently been to the ER or Urgent Care?
Yes, but not for myself. A couple of weeks back I was a both several times with our daughter.
8) New York is home to Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest every year on the 4th. Will hot dogs be consumed in your household this weekend?
No. I had thawed some out for the grandkids last weekend and they didn't eat them so we had hotdogs this past Monday.
9) Atlanta hosts a 10K Peachtree Road Race every 4th of July. Are you a runner?
9) Atlanta hosts a 10K Peachtree Road Race every 4th of July. Are you a runner?
And now for.....
We found this gem from a blogger Lady Nina of the blog "Live The Good Life, Fight The Good Fight". She gives us no idea who she stole it from. But, it was probably stolen at that blog as well. So, of course, that will be as far as we go. Tracing back our theft's thieves might take some time. That's it from me. Peace & love!
Cheers to all us thieves!
Sunday Stealing: Last The 40 Questions from Bud
1. My uncle once: used me to sneak booze into the stadium at a Pittsburgh Steelers' game.
2. Never in my life: have I been outside North America....and I barely count the Canadian side of Niagara Falls as outside the U.S.
3. When I was seventeen: I was a senior in high school and thought I had the world by the tail. I had spent the summer working in the Poconos with the Youth Conservation Corp, was already excepted to several colleges for journalism, writing for the school paper, and I was finally emerging from my awkward stage and learning how to work my mojo!
4. High School was: okay, but not great. My class was split into too many distinct little groups that didn't get along. You couldn't pay me enough to go back and do it again.
5. I will never forget: quite a few things, I hope, but you want the dramatic answer here. So.... I will never forget the Sunday afternoon during my 9th grade year that a helicopter (hired to drop numbered ping pong balls into the crowd at a local church festival) crashed into the crowd, killing several people (including two of my friends and a teacher) and injuring many.
6. I once met: Toby Keith
7. There’s this girl I know who: Actually, this applies to many of the teenage girls I know...they need to believe in themselves. So many of them have low self-esteem and put up with so much crap from "friends" and boys alike that I can't imagine ever putting up with. They don't seem to dream of much for the future, either. I worry a lot about the upcoming generation.
8. Once, at a bar: I don't have any good bar stories. In college I went to frat parties, not bars. I got married at 20 which was not legal drinking age in PA, but it was in FL where Hubby and I spent the first 2 years of our marriage. Since it was legal, there was no big urgency to celebrate 21. We aren't against alcohol, keep a stocked cabinet at home, and enjoy touring the wineries along the PA/NY border but we just aren't the hang out in bars type.
9. By noon, I’m usually: halfway through my day if it's during the school year, but only a few hours into the day if it's during the summer. Also, during the school year my butt is dragging by noon and in the summer I'm just getting started.
10. Last night: We tried out a new Chinese buffet with friends and then hung out at their house for a while.
11. If only I had: Enough money to totally pay of our debt, add on to the house and do the updates I'd like, and put some away for retirement.
12. Next time I go to gym/church: I really have no idea when the next time will be for either, but it would be to try either one out, see if it's a good fit for me.
13. Susan Boyle: has an amazing voice, but I haven't heard anything about her in ages.
14. What worries me most: surviving old age...health-wise and/or financially.
15. When I turn my head left, I see: the wall, window and drapes.
16. When I turn my head right, I see: an end table, the recliner that matches the one I'm sitting in, a chicken lamp that belonged to my aunt, pictures of our youngest grandson, and a revolving tower filled with DVDs.
17. You know I’m lying when: I try not to lie other than maybe small ones to save someone's feelings, but if I did you probably wouldn't know. As a teenager I mastered the art of the sincere lie...I'd read about body language and what gives a liar away and learned not to do it.
18. What I miss most about the eighties: being young and completely healthy. Okay, and maybe the music.
19. If I was a character in Shakespeare, I’d be: I have no idea. I can't think of any I identify with.
20. By this time next year: I hope to be a significantly smaller version of myself and in a new job that doesn't involve driving a bus. Oh, and I'd better finally be enjoying the remodeled bathroom or heads will roll. The main bathroom has been ripped up and unusable since October of last year!
21. A better name for me would be: After nearly 53 years I'm good with the one I've got.
22. I have a hard time understanding: the entitlement mentality of the millennial generation.
23. If I ever go back to school, I’ll: be surprised.
24. You know I like you if: I laugh with you. I can be nice to those I don't particularly like, but I can't laugh and have fun with them.
25. If I ever won an award, the first person I’d thank would be: Jesus, followed by my husband.
26. When I compare 80’s rock to 90’s rock: 80s rock wins, hands down!
27. Take my advice, never: mix business and family. Whatever your skill is, let your relatives hire someone else.
28. My ideal breakfast is: leftovers from the night before. I don't really like breakfast foods in the morning. Right now, since I am taking Adipex if I even eat breakfast it's just a yogurt.
29. A song I love, but do not own is: oh the list is loooooong. I used to have a very extensive music collection. All my CDs were in notebooks. I would take them with me in the car so I could play whatever I was in the mood for. The one time (ONE STINKING TIME!!!) I forgot and left them in the car overnight someone broke into the car and took them all. I buy CDs of the stuff I love here and there when I find it, but not like I did when I was younger. It still makes me sick to think of losing all that music.
30. If you visit my hometown, I suggest: visiting St. Vincent College/Church/Archabby (in August if possible since that's when the college hosts the Pittsburgh Steelers' summer training camp), having a banana split at Valley Dairy (the banana split was invented here), checking out all the sites around town commemorating our two most famous residents (Arnold Palmer and Fred Rogers), stopping by the Lincoln Highway Experience (a museum about the nation's first cross-country highway that the town sits right beside), visiting Idlewild Park (one of the oldest amusement parks in the country...and the #2 ranked family park in the country!), and getting out to enjoy some of the great parks and outdoor attractions in the area (hiking, kayaking, biking).
31. My favorite Beatle is: I'm not really a Beatles fan (sorry, sorry, sorry), but Ringo always amused me.
32. Why won’t people: just be nice to each other?
33. If you spend the night at my house: that's going to be a little tough right now. The guest room is full of wedding stuff and my husband sleeps on the sofa a lot of the time due to insomnia and comfort issues.
34. I’d stop my wedding for: Well, I don't have any plans to get married since I already am but I'm not sure what you're getting at. Do you want to know what I'd temporarily hold it up over or what would make me call the whole thing off?
I would temporarily hold it up for safety reasons or a health emergency. To call it off...if I caught the groom cheating or in a major lie.
35. The world could do without: I'd like to say politics, but I suppose there always needs to be someone "in charge." So I will just say cell phones and social media apps. I don't think those have done more damage than good to the basic fabric of our society.
36. I’d rather lick the belly of a cockroach than: see anything happen to our grandkids.
37. My favorite blonde is: our oldest grandson.
38: Paper clips are more useful than: most of the politicians in Washington.
39. If I do anything well, it’s: procrastinate. Or maybe cooking....I do pretty well at that when I want to.
40. And by the way: I'm glad Sunday Stealing is going to live to see another Sunday. Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!