Saturday 9: Stars and Stripes Forever by The Muppets
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. Though our song choice is humorous, we honor their sacrifice in our hearts.
1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. War memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?
Not in my actual neighborhood, but there's one about half a mile away. They just revamped it a few years ago and it's very nice even though it's not one that there is typically a ceremony at.
2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial Day (then called Decoration Day) was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our 45 Presidents?
Bill Clinton made a stop at our local airport during his first term. I took the kids and went to see him. I got to shake his hand. My step-father took them several years later and they met George W. Bush.
3) According to the AAA, 36 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend?
Nope. The weather is supposed to be crappy so we're putting off the family cook out till next weekend.
4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food?
Grilled steak, grilled shrimp, grilled ribs, potato salad, marshmallows.
5) Have you packed away your winter clothes? Or is the weather still so changeable that you still may need something warm?
I still have that wonderful job to look forward to. I hope the weather gets nice and stays that way soon. Right now it's really chilly and rainy and promises to stay that way throughout the weekend.
6) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?
I have a fan running because I appear to be coming down with a cold to start my summer vacation and I'm hot even though it isn't really warm.
7) This week, we are featuring the Muppets. Jim Henson made the first Muppet out of an old coat, and he used ping pong balls for the eyes. Do you have a talent for do-it-yourself/arts and crafts projects?
Not really. I can do a decent job at it if I put some effort into it, but it doesn't really come naturally.
8) Random question: Think of the last thing you bought. Did you get a good deal?
I bought a Broyhill coffee table and two end tables at an auction for $17 a couple of weeks ago. I think that was a pretty good deal.
9) Crazy Sam needs your help: What song or a performer would you like to see featured in a Saturday 9 this summer? You'll begin seeing your suggestions as Saturday 9 themes in mid-June. Thanks!
Billy Joel, Piano Man
Katrina and the Waves, Walking on Sunshine
Travis Tritt, It's a Great Day to Be Alive
John Denver, Rocky Mountain High
Steve Miller Band, The Joker
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day!
And be sure to visit the Saturday 9 site.