February 7, 2020

Saturday 9: Two Divided by Love

Well, we didn't get the 8 inches of snow they were calling for. Or maybe we did. It was kind of hard to tell since it was that super, heavy, wet snow that compacts to a layer of icy slush on the bottom. There was a good 6 inches to shovel, anyway.  

The other good news of the day is that the state inspection at the nursing home was indeed over yesterday. The home got written up for 21 things, but it may be less because they will lump duplicate things together into one citation. The best part is that the dementia wing was the only wing to get exactly...ZERO citations. Woohoo! Go us!

Tim's going to be home tomorrow which, hopefully, means we're going to get some things done and maybe take in a movie with Colton. So, I'm going to link up with Sam and post Saturday 9 tonight.


Two Divided by Love (1971)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? You can hear it here.

1) Sam's teacher told her she'd use math every day. What's the last math problem you solved? (Did you add to/subtract from the balance of your checkbook ... use division to figure out how much you'd save with 25% off that sweater ...)  Sam's teacher (and mine) lied. I can't remember exactly when I last solved a math problem. I know I do, but it sure isn't every day and quite frankly, I never, ever use algebra, geometry, or calculus.

2) The lyrics tell us that if you take away the rain from a flower, the flower just won't grow. Do you have any indoor houseplants? Could they use a drink of water this morning?  I only have about 3 these days, which is way down from years past. I love house plants, but I just don't have enough open space for very many these days. Could they use a drink? Yes, I think it's been a week since the last watering.

3) This week's artists, The Grass Roots, are introduced in this video by country music superstar Kenny Rogers. Who is your favorite country music singer?  Toby Keith



4) The two unmarried members of the group -- guitarist Warren Entner and drummer Ricky Coonce -- competed for a lady's affection on a 1968 episode of The Dating Game. Neither of them won! She chose Bachelor #1. Anyway, have you ever appeared on a game show? Do you know anyone who has?  No and no.

5) The Grass Roots were originally called The 13th Floor. They chose this cheeky name because many high rises do not have a 13th floor since 13 is considered an unlucky number, and they were thumbing their noses at superstition. Are you superstitious?  Not even a little bit.

6) At the time of his death in 2011, group leader Rob Grill was still playing music, touring with a reconfigured Grass Roots. His widow Nancy referred to him as "one lucky son of a gun" because he'd been able to support himself as a musician, doing what he loved for 45 years. In what ways do you consider yourself fortunate?  I was fortunate to be born in the United States; to have had the childhood I had; the experiences and opportunities I had; to have found love; to have a wonderful family; my family has been spared any great tragedy; I came to know Jesus as Lord and Savior (and I am free to worship and express my faith); to have work I enjoy. I could go on all day about the ways I feel I'm fortunate. 


7) In 1971, the year this song was released, Walt Disney World opened in Florida. The Epcot Center was added in 1982. Have you ever visited this, or any, Disney theme park?  We lived in Orlando for a couple of years in the mid-80's. I have been to Disney World and Epcot many times, but not in the last 22 years. I'd like to go again and see how things have changed. Tim is not so enthusiastic.

8) Fresh chicken was just 43¢/lb. in 1971. Do you prefer the breast or drumstick?  The breast please. I don't like the tendons and things you find in the leg. Ick.

9) Random question: Do you work well under pressure?
  Yes, and being a procrastinator I sometimes do my BEST work under pressure.

20 comments:

  1. Fun answers. My husband and I saw the Grass Roots in concert in New Orleans in 1995. Fun memories. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do well under pressure. But not in my final job. And I was close to 15 years...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work well under pressure, just leave me alone, and don't bother me, LOL. Have a great Saturday! (we ended up with 9.5 inches of snow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuck! It was so pretty yesterday. Today it's a melting, gray pile of sludge.

      Delete
  4. I don't understand people who aren't always up for a trip to The Magic Kingdom. Maybe it's because I grew up seeing the magic tea cup ride every Sunday on Walt Disney's TV show and always, always wanted to hop on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teacups were actually my least favorite ride of all.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your unit passing the site visit! That's major!

    I used to procrastinate but have found over the years that I'm better when I keep organized and on top of deadlines--so I don't procrastinate anymore, I get too jittery about it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to be organized...but I keep procrastinating on it. lol

      Delete
  6. That's great that you passed the audit, we used to have them all the time when I was working, the customers used to audit us when we won a new contract.

    I am also procrastinator I am always rushing at the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that having to rush at the last minute helps me be hyper-focused and I do my best work.

      Delete
  7. Our answer to #6 was spot on.. great answer.. I associate with you on dark meat.. ick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer dark chicken meat. I like the breast if it is moist and tender. Too often, the breast is dry and tough. We used to laugh when there was a lunch meeting for work wondering if the chicken would have brown gravy or white. Fun questions again this week! Congrats on no citations in your department!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like dry, tough chicken breast, either, but I don't like the dark meat at all.

      Delete
  9. I do math everyday for sure...how many hours have I worked this week, how much time do I have before I need to leave for work, how much time left until I get to leave and go home. How much of this list can I buy as I am adding things in my head. I bet you do it more than you think...or maybe I am a bit OCD with time. hahahahaha Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I pay attention to time quite that much, but I also didn't think of knowing how long until quitting time as math.

      Delete
  10. I recently learned how much they are charging for entrance to Disneyland. No wonder I haven't been there in 20 years. Absolutely no way a family with five children could afford to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a shame?! I loved the park when we lived in Orlando, but they are pretty much excluding a lot of people from visiting with the ridiculous prices.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.