December 10, 2019

Christmas Choices

It's 10:00 on Tuesday evening as I'm writing this as my Wednesday post. The tree is glowing to the right of my feet, which happen to be propped up on the footrest of the recliner I'm in. White Christmas is on the television. (I harbor a slight crush on old Bing. That voice... And I adore the costumes and dancing.) Tim is asleep on the sofa and the Poodle is curled up beside me. It's a good end to the day.

For those who wanted to know...my colonoscopy went just fine and I am fine. I don't have to get another one for 10 years. Now there's some news that makes me HAPPY! To be honest, the dreaded prep wasn't that bad. The goo they gave me to drink was cranberry flavored and was...okay. It didn't taste bad at first, but it did have a pretty nasty after-taste. I chose to drink Gatorade for my liquid afterward. I don't think I will ever be able to drink blue Gatorade again. I had to drink about 3/4 of a gallon of the stuff. I couldn't have taken one more sip if my life depended on it.

I woke up about 1:30 with a POUNDING headache, something I very rarely get. Since at that point I wasn't allowed to drink anything or take anything...it was a long, long night and I wasn't exactly in great shape this morning when it was time to go. I explained my pounding head to them and they said I was probably dehydrated and that it was common for people to get a little bit of a headache. I don't think they believed me that it was more than a "little" headache until they decided to give me IV fluids and got a whole bag in me, which is a good bit more than most people take.

The procedure itself was nothing once I fell asleep. The anethstesia didn't just sting a little as it went in my arm...it freakin' BURNED LIKE ACID!!! I remember them holding me down (because I was going to rip the thing out) until I went under. The wake up side of it was good. I woke up feeling great and only the tiniest bit wobbly. They said it was a new kind of anethstesia. I guess the wake up is worth the burn.

The rest of the day has been one of rest. Doctor's orders. I wolfed down a Domino's carry-out pizza as soon as I got home and spent the afternoon watching Hallmark movies and napping.

This evening I watched Colton and Leah for a while so Megan could go grocery shopping and did some more Christmas shopping online. Little Leah is getting so big...four months old already!


Anyway, I'm answering some questions I stole from Rebecca Jo's post of last Wednesday.

Christmas Choices

1. Candy canes. Yes or no?  Of course! I'm not a purest, though. I like a lot of the new fun flavored ones and I've used the different colors to match differently themed trees over the years. It's only been the last couple of years since I've had the rustic/alpine/woodland tree that I've not put candy canes on it.

2. Christmas morning early riser or sleep in?
  You know, I have no idea what time I woke up as a kid. I'm guessing not that early since I think it was usually light out. When our kids were growing up I was up before dawn because they ALWAYS got up early and I wanted to get everything set up and ready before they woke up...and check on the ham (which I always slow roast overnight) and whatever else needed doing before they got up. For a few blessed years when they were older they slept in and so did I. Then the aches and pains of getting older snuck in and I wake up early pretty much every day. Sigh.
3. Do you shop on Black Friday? Yes or no?  Nope. My mom was never one to go so I didn't grow up doing it and I've only gone a couple of times as an adult and I absolutely hated it. There is nothing in the world I want or need that bad!





4. Christmas trees up in November? Yes or no?  Absolutely! I used to always put the tree up on Black Friday, but lately I've been working or something else has been going on with the family so I do it when I can. This year I started before Thanksgiving and finished on Black Friday.

5. Do you get holiday ideas from Pinterest? Yes or no?  Sometimes. I pin a lot of stuff, but the real question is do I ever get around to doing the things I pin? The answer to that is mostly "no" except for recipes. I use a lot of recipes I find on there.

6. Christmas glam or ugly sweater?
  I'm not opposed to either, but generally speaking I don't go anywhere that requires "glam" so you're unlikely to see me dressed that way. On the other hand, I don't go to any ugly sweater parties, either. I would wear one anyway if I liked it enough. Especially to work.

7. Stocking stuffers: wrapped or unwrapped?  Wrapped? Ain't nobody got time for that! Stocking stuffers are unwrapped all the way, baby!

8. Traditional or modern Christmas songs?  I love them all! My favorite Christmas album is the Vince Guaraldi Trio's soundtrack for A Charlie Brown Christmas.

9. Fruitcake? Yes or no?  Absolutely not.

10. Is your Christmas shopping finished? Yes or no?
  It's getting there. There are a few people I am absolutely stumped on this year and I'm getting no help from their spouses, who seem to be as stumped as I am. 

11. Is there snow in December where you live?  Usually, though the real question is will there be snow on Christmas? That's always iffy.

12. Classic show: A Charlie Brown Christmas or Rudolph?
  Both. One is the same age as me and the other only a year younger so these are the staples of my childhood. No Christmas is complete without at least one viewing of each. I guess A Charlie Brown Christmas gets a couple of extra bonus points for actually sharing the gospel. Try that today! I have to admit I'm kind of surprised none of the world's terminally offended have tried to cancel it.

18 comments:

  1. Glad you are doing OK and recovering from your procedure. Fun answers to the questions. So fun that you get to watch your grands - such a beautiful, sweet baby. Hope you have a good day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! She really is a good baby, no trouble at all.

      Delete
  2. Oh, so glad to hear your colonoscopy went well and that you are healthy. Your little granddaughter is adorable, and she looks very content in your arms!!

    I hear ya about Bing. That voice is amazing! I love White Christmas. My daughter and I watch it every year. A couple times, we've been able to take it in on the big screen. Let me tell you, that movie was MADE for the big screen. This year, though, the big screen showing was when Gabrielle and scott were in Hawaii, so we will have to watch it at home on our TV.

    Me thinks you just haven't tried the right fruitcake yet. We make one that is really to die for. No citron in it, which I think is what most people find so unpalatable in traditional fruitcake.

    I love Charlie Brown Christmas. I grew up watching it, and so did my kids.

    Have a wonderful day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up not seeing all of White Christmas last night so I am watching the whole thing over again right now. On the big screen....oh, I would imagine that is amazing! I've never seen it offered around here, though. :( I did take the kids years ago to see the Wizard of Oz on the big screen. That was pretty amazing.

      I don't know about the fruitcake. The lack of citron might help, but I'm no fan of nuts or raisins, either.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad your colonoscopy went well. I don't do very well with any anethesia.

    I like fruit cake --not all, but if its made right...and that is a great photo of you and your granddaughter. I'll answer these tomorrow, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually do well with anesthesia, either, so waking up clear headed was a really nice surprise. At least I'll know to brace myself for the burn next time.

      Fruitcake. No. Just no.

      Looking forward to your answers!

      Delete
  4. Rudolph is my favorite, but I love to hear Linus quote the Christmas story! Glad to hear all went well with your colonoscopy. Love the picture of you with your grandchild. True love showing there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad everything went well and you are healthy! I have to get my first one next year and I am not looking forward to it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first. I managed to fly under the radar until 55. It really wasn't that bad. It's all the liquids I had to drink that I struggled with...and then to still be dehydrated? Sheeesh!

      Delete
  6. Mosh Pit with prizes - that seriously made me LOL
    OH MAN - I am the same way with orange Gatorade now!!!! ... that night before a procedure is horrible when you cant eat/drink anything. I was so glad I slept fairly well through my pre-night before last round. I've had one where I was up all night sicker than a dog.
    Glad it all went well & that's over & "BEHIND" you ;) LOL ... I'm witty when I have to be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you are a real commode-ian! Ha! Did you see what I did there? :D

      Delete
  7. Oh my word, Stacy … what an awful ordeal! I can't recall the drug I was given (think Michael Jackson's undoing) but I had the dickens of a time waking up. In fact, Tom told me the nurses had to dress me and put me in the car. I've no recollection, but that's pretty embarrassing. Gosh, that's been 10 years now. My doctor let me do the poop-in-a-box (ColoGuard) this year.
    Little Leah is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's usually about the way I wake up from the stuff so this new one is worth the burning sensation, I guess.

      Delete
  8. I'm due for mine in January. Ugh. I am with you on the Gatorade. It is forever associated with the prep. I had one eight years ago but my dr. said he'd rather we go every 7 or 8 years than 10 (even though that's what my previous doc said). Gonna go ahead and get it over with. Happy new year to me : ) No snow here. No fruitcake either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband was supposed to have 10 years between, but our new doctor said he should go now. I think that's wise since we lost his dad to colon cancer and several of his siblings have had polyps removed.

      Delete
  9. Colonoscopy... I have to do one every five years because I lost both my mom and my younger brother to colon cancer. The prep day is the worst. Hope my doctor isn't using that anesthesia that burns! Yikes! I don't go again until 2021. Fun questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prep wasn't too bad except for being dehydrated. At least I know know that a couple of Tylenol with a sip of water to wash them down will NOT mess up the test.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.