December 11, 2019

Bursting With Blessings

Linking up with Rebecca Jo @ Knit By God's Hand to show some gratitude on this Thankful Thursday.


This week I am thankful...

** to be getting the hang of my new hairstyle. Every washing it gets a little easier to achieve the desired look. Makes me very glad I made the change.

** for good working relationships with my co-workers. The days in the dementia unit can be very long at times and having people to talk to (that understand) and to laugh with goes a long way toward relieving any stress or boredom. 

** for another letter from my biological father. He seemed more relaxed and opened up more in this one. It meant a lot that he was very complimentary and seemed to be proud of me and the life I've lead. 

** for the completely unexpected, unnecessary, and unasked for gift my biological father sent in his letter. To say it was generous is an understatement. He said he has tried to help all his children and this is his chance to do something for me. Whoa. It left me shaking and in tears.

** to have had a couple of brilliant ideas for Christmas gifts for those impossible people on my list. I was worried I'd have to resort to gift cards. There is nothing wrong with those, but I kind of pride myself on finding the perfect gift for people...something they really like, but would never buy themselves. I crossed two of those off just today. :)

** my first colonoscopy is behind me. Ha! Seriously, I'd been dreading it since I turned 50 five years ago. The goo didn't taste that great, I ended up dehydrated which gave me a killer headache, and the anesthesia burned like acid in my veins before I went under, but it's over and I got a good report. No need to do it again for 10 years!

** that I am not feeling stressed over Christmas this year. I'm finally learning the art of "letting it go." When it comes to all the things that need done I'm picking and choosing what truely is important to me. The rest just doesn't matter. For example, the family will be just as happy with a tray of bought cookies as ones I slaved for days over. I may make one or two favorites, but that will be it.

** for my cozy home when the weather turns brutally cold.

** to realize just how blessed we are. We may not have so much by our society's standards, but we have so much more than most of the world. And I'm not just talking about things.

** for each one of you!

** for the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God.



14 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy. What a great list of things to be thankful for! I love it! So cool that you heard from your biological father. I don't know you back story, but I am adopted so it was pretty cool when I found my birth family years ago. I am now in contact with my birth mother and siblings but never could find my birth father, and I think he is dead now. Sad, but I am so glad you are in touch with your father. Have a good day and I will see you again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, my mom was pregnant and unmarried. Not a good thing in small town America in 1964. She and my father had broken up before she found out she was pregnant. He was a bit older than her, 26 to her 19, but a bit of a jerk at the time from the sound of things...even by his own admission. When Mom got married 3 years later my dad adopted me. I wasn't aware of that until I was 10. All of these years Mom refused to tell me who my father was. My son did an Ancestry.com DNA test and didn't we get a surprise! What happened to you and not being able to meet your father is exactly why I ultimately decided to communicate with my father. He is 81 and has a pace maker. He probably doesn't have a lot of years left in this world. I didn't want to have any regrets.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post! My mil is adopted and myself and bil (my husbands one brother) have been very busy trying to find the truth...unfort...NY has permanently sealed the adoption records (that is another story) and what we have found out so far is not good and her family is refusing to discuss or contact us. It is sad...time to let all those bad feelings or 'juju' go, the past is the past. Like I told my bil, perhaps we need to let it go for the time being.

    I am going to keep saying this, I.AM.NOT.GOING.TO.BE.FORCED.TO.HAVE.A.COLONSCOPY. The insurance co. is trying to force me...we shall see. After breast cancer and the emergency full adominal hysterectomy --I am done being poked and prodded. My husband has to have one every year because they found polyps, and he actually has to have one on the 19th. I don't think the dr. is listening to my concerns at all...and I dread going to the dr because of the way they hound me. My husband said, "You nnow eventually your going to have to give in, right?"

    I'm not stressed over the holidays at all, either. Our families have nothing to do with us, and I haven't seen my folks in like 7 years (they live in Fl). It is what it is, I guess. Its sad. Not meaning to be a Debbie downer, grin.

    ...and lastly, I am glad to have found you and you and your blog. smiles--so very thankful. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your reluctance to get a colonoscopy, but it really wasn't that bad...not like the stories I've heard. And it is way better than the alternative!

      I am glad we have found each other, too. Cheers to blog friends!

      Delete
  3. Like you, I've always prided myself -- or tried to -- on finding the 'perfect' gift for my loved ones. How wonderful to receive that envelope from your bio-father; I can't wait to hear what the new year brings with your new-found family!
    As ever, I'm thankful for my blogging buddies -- so glad you're among the tribe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Letting go definitely makes life less stressful. I'm doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously teared up with the letter from your dad. Can you believe it??? Like, how fast everything has moved - & just the insight that you're getting. SO many questions answered. So excited for you.
    With my dad having colon cancer I have to get one every 5 years... but I bet it'll be every 10 by the way I'll push it off :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has all gone crazy fast after NOTHING for my whole life!
      Tim's dad died from colon cancer so he should get one every 5 years, but we had a hard time getting him to go for the first time and then our old doctor never pushed it. Our new one is. :)

      Delete
  6. Like Rebecca Jo, I teared up over the news you received from your biological dad. What a great journey this has turned out to be for you and your new-found family!! Letting go... yep, it makes a world of difference to stress levels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool about your biological dad wanting to contact you and even sending a gift to help you out. I think it's really neat that you have connected with your long-lost family. Is your mom okay with it all? Or does connecting with him/them make her feel possessive?

    I understand the freedom of letting things go. We aren't using a Christmas tree, and I've had a couple people tell me they couldn't imagine Christmas without a tree. Well, for me/us, it doesn't matter. In the past, I might have allowed their opinions to make me feel bad about not using one. But, I'm like, "what works for one doesn't always work for another, and that is okay."

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom is definitely not cool with me meeting my dad, but she is trying to be and says it's nothing to her. However, her responses show she is still very bitter about what happened all those years ago. I've told her I heard from him (the first time) and that I will probably meet him next summer, but there is no way I'm telling her that he gave me anything and to that end, I'm not telling my kids, either. That was actually my husband's advice about the kids. The less people who know, the less chance anyone will accidentally say something.

      When it comes to traditions, I don't think there is any one-size-fits-all and in this changing world, the traditions are changing, too. We all have to do what works for us.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.