October 18, 2019

Saturday 9: I'd Really Love to See You Tonight

Looking for something fun to do with your Saturday? Join up with Crazy Sam and the gang at Saturday 9 for a musical meme.

Whoa...Sam, you've really been on a roll with songs I like. I listened to a lot of England Dan and John Ford Coley back in the day...though I don't think I knew what they looked like. I don't seem to remember them being quite so....homely. 

I'd Really Love to See You Tonight (1976)

Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.

1) This song is about a guy who, out of the blue, phones an ex. Have you ever spontaneously phoned or emailed a former lover? No. Has an ex ever reached out to you? Yes. It went nowhere.


2) He suggests walking through the park, taking a drive along the beach, or watching TV. Do any of those suggestions appeal to you right now? It's 10:00 on Friday evening so no to the park, the nearest beach is several hours away, and I'm already watching TV so we'll go with that.

3) "England Dan" got his nickname because he was a passionate Beatles fan and would affect a British accent when he talked about his favorite group. Are you good at imitating accents? I can do pretty well at sounding like I'm from Alabama thanks to a sister-in-law and several nephews and nieces who live there, but other than that, no.

4) Dan met John Coley when they were high school classmates in Dallas. When they were still kids, they agreed that "John Ford Coley" would be a better stage name. Think back to your high school days. Which of your friends daydreamed along with you? All of them!


5) After the duo disbanded, "England Dan" went to Nashville, billed himself by his real name -- Dan Seals -- and recorded country music. Who is your favorite country performer?  Unless you're new around here or totally don't pay attention, you know it's this guy. How do you like me now?


Okay, it's Toby Keith if you don't know him.

6) Today John Ford Coley lives in TN. He performs occasionally and raises horses. Have you ever been to TN?  I've driven or ridden through it many times and I spent a week in Chattanooga a few years ago.

7) In 1975, when this song was popular, Foster Grant Sunglasses had a suggested retail price of $5/pair. Do you buy sunglasses more for fashion or utility?  Both. I buy prescription sunglasses because I need them, but I have Ray Bans because I want them to look good, too.

8) The most popular movie of 1975 was Jaws. Have you seen it?
  Many times, though the first time at age 11 is responsible for my life-long phobia of sharks.


9) Random question: Excluding anyone related to you by blood or marriage, what man are you closest to?
  My friend and Bible study teacher's husband. He is a friend, a teacher, my minister, and the two of them are the couple we went on the cruise with this summer.

27 comments:

  1. Interesting answers! We get to learn a lot of new things from these don't we? And sometimes I think when we think of answers we learn more about ourselves too.
    I didn't know Toby Keith so I went to YouTube to hear him and he's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always fun to think about our answers and read everyone else's. I think over the years we've started some good discussions, too.
      I'm glad you liked Toby Keith. His recent hits tend to be all about drinking...what sells I suppose, but his older songs and a lot of the "filler" songs on his CD's are my favorites.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my, does this sound remind me of high school! This song and their "Nights Are Forever Without You" take me back to sophomore year!

    I love Tennessee. We vacationed there in 1998, and, truly, we fell in love. Really tried to move there, but the Lord never opened a door for that to happen. (And we moved to Idaho instead). But I am going to Nashville in mid-November, accompanying my daughter to a conference.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We want to vacation in the Smokey Mountains one of these days. I've heard from many that it was their best vacation ever. Oh, retirement there might be good. I have a few cousin's there and I've been told it's a very good state for retirees financially due to the tax situation. If I'm honest, though, I don't see us ever relocating because the kids and grands are all here.

      Delete
  3. Sharks really are rather unlovable creatures. Once in Key West, I went on a glass bottom boat ride and the tour guide told us some harrowing factoids. When we got back to shore, I checked a book on sale in the gift shop and yes, he was right: sharks are cannibals. It's hard to feel warm and fuzzy about them after you hear that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The escalating reports of attacks along the coast the past few summers doesn't give me the warm fuzzies, either!

      Delete
  4. ♫ ♪ I'm not talking about moving in
    And I don't want to change your life ♪
    ♪ But there's a warm wind blowing and the stars are out
    And I'd really love to see you tonight ♪ ♫

    This is the type of "slow down song" at wedding receptions where I go to the little girls' room before that one guy who takes off his suit jacket and loosens his tie after the first number and dances to every single song all night long asks me out on the floor.

    Actually I don't think they'd play this song at a wedding reception but you know what I mean. I would rather dance the watusi or the twist than have that one guy try to close dance with me or spin me around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I got married young enough that I didn't have to endure that kind of torture for more than a year or two!

      Delete
  5. It is always fun to learn more about one another, smiles. Have a great day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how fun that you met Toby Keith!
    The Southern accents are my favorite, but I am not great at those. I need to practice. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have a ton of male friends but this meme made me realize I don't anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have any other than the one I mentioned and even him, I wouldn't just pick up a phone and call to chat. He's close, but not that close.

      Delete
  8. WOah! Ray Bans.. I ran across the price yesterday! Fair blew my mind!!! Great answers.. hae a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, the frames aren't that much more than other frames at the vision shop I go to and significantly less than others. I can't see far away or close up so I have progressive bi-focals...the lenses are where the big cost is for me.

      Delete
  9. I tried prescription sunglasses and just found them annoying. The pull-over kind probably look dorky but I seem better able to deal with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got hooked on prescription sunglasses when I was driving the bus. It got to be a real pain switching glasses or taking the clip-ons on and off all the time. It was really nothing but a convenience thing.

      Delete
  10. Who's Toby Keith? *winks* He really does have a nice voice. When you first mentioned him, I went to look him up. And yes, once in the jammies, it's time to watch TV. I wear Aviator shades. I just like them for their big size and they stay on my face. Hope you have a sweet weekend, working or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does and he sings some lovely songs that were nothing more than filler material on his CD's. It's the upbeat drinking songs that sell, I suppose.

      Delete
  11. Awesome photo of you with Toby Keith!! Whoot!! This was another fun Saturday 9!! I enjoyed reading your answers! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still so envious of your meeting Toby! The way my eyes are going south, I may invest in a pair of prescription sunglasses … maybe then, I'll actually remember to wear them.

    BTW, I was too pooped to do any commenting last eve. But your post on the dementia patients was mighty sobering. That's something I never would have guessed! Nevertheless, thank you for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't be envious. He turned around and beamed that smile at me and my ability to speak fled the building. It's a wonder I didn't drool on myself or faint. The pictures don't do that smile justice.

      I get the tired thing. I'm a couch potato most nights after work. Yeah, it's a tough subject that I think has slipped through the cracks because, seriously, who wants to deal with the topic of sex in nursing homes. Ewww. And sex among dementia residents...girl, we are in the Twilight Zone!

      Delete
  13. Funny, the shark tank at our local aquarium is one of my favorite attractions. They have this sort of tiered seating area across from it, and I love to sit on the top row and just chill and watch them. They are fascinating creatures. I wonder what they think about....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love watching them, too, but I do not go in the water past my ankles. As for what they think about, my guess is...FOOD!

      Delete
  14. #8 Here on Cape Cod the seal population has exploded and they brought the sharks. At least once or twice a week they close the beaches for an hour or so as a shark swims by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! That's way too sharky for me. I probably wouldn't even put my usual "just toes" in the water.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.