August 21, 2019

The Wednesday Medley Goes Flying

Well, according to Terri and the National Day Calendar today is National Ride the Wind Day. Who am I to argue? So, let's celebrate with Terri's Wednesday Medley!



1.  Tell us about the first airplane ride you took and do you like to fly?  I think my first airplane ride was in a little single engine plane. When I was a kid and we lived in the wildlife preserve, the resident biologist and several of his friends were pilots (they also raced Corvettes). I think I went up with them. I'm not sure if it came before my first helicopter ride, though. Anyway, it would have just been a ride for fun and sight-seeing. I loved it!
2.  Have you ever gone hang gliding and was it on the beach with boat power, or from a mountain with only the wind and your body?  I have never gone hang gliding and I will NEVER go hang gliding.
3.  Have you ever gone kite flying and with whom?  I think I might have flown a kite once or twice with either my dad or my grandmother. I don't really remember it that clearly. I also took my own kids at one time or another.
4.  Experimental aircraft is quite popular as a hobby where Terri lives.  Have you or anyone you know ever constructed a flying machine and did you ride in it?  No and no.
5.  Another big hobby around Lakeland is Radio Controlled Airplanes.  Have you ever seen them flying or tried your hand at it?  Yes, I've seen them. It used to be big around here, but I haven't seen any in quite a while. Drones have really taken over. My dad really wanted to get one to fly with my son, but was waiting for him to be a bit older. Unfortunately, Dad lost his battle with cancer before that ever happened.
6.  Please tell us something about your week.  For starters, I am pretty much running from one air-conditioned location to the next. It has been so stinkin' hot and humid for several days. Tomorrow, I think, is supposed to be the end of it.  
Today was my day off and I babysat my grandson for a while, but I spent most of the day composing a very long letter to my newly discovered half-sister. We spoke for the first time last week. So much to tell and ask!
Tim should finally be finished with the project he's been on for the last year by the end of the week. He is really looking forward to that. He plans to take the whole weekend off and thinks if he feels well enough, we can finish the bathroom (finally!) if we work together for two days. Man, I hope so.


18 comments:

  1. Yep, drones are the thing now. No way... I have recently learned of a half sister and brother. I am trying to work of the courage to reach out to both of them. Have a great Week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hear so much about people finding surprises in their family tree these days. It's no wonder Ancestry and 23 & Me have had to develop large departments to handle counseling to surprised people. I didn't reach out to my new siblings. I told my son to let the DNA matches contact him and if they did I'd decide what to do. They never did contact him. The DNA test stirred things up, but they found me on their own.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your answers. It is so hot and humid here too. Summer seems never ending. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does! We never really seem to have any nice spring or fall weather any more. There's just freeze your butt off winter and die of heat stroke summer. I am not a fan.

      Delete
  3. Amazing how so many people are discovering half siblings now that we’re all doing genetic testing. I’m not sure I want to go down that road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wasn't sure I wanted to go down that road, either, but my siblings found me and seem pretty excited. I'm still a little more reserved about it.

      Delete
  4. Stop it! You grew up on a wildlife preserve???? How cool it that?! This is the most interesting thing I've read today! It must have been quite the experience. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am. I spent my grade school years in a wildlife preserve and being the manager's daughter had its privileges. I got to tag along a lot (and probably be a ginormous pain in the butt) with the workers, research students, and the biologist. I was a total sponge...wanting to see and do and learn it all.

      Delete
  5. What does it feel like to discover a half sister??? I cant imagine!!! I'm excited & prayful for your relationship going forward.
    The end of summer heat & humidity HASSS to be soon, right? GASPING FOR AIR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know...I'm not really sure how it feels. I always knew it was a possibility, a probability even, that my father had other children after me. Finding out for sure that he did wasn't that big of a shock. I actually think finding out about him and having them come looking for me was the bigger one. It still totally weirds me out to say I have siblings after 55 years without any. It would be nice if we could develop some kind of relationship, but I don't know if it will happen or not since they live a couple of states away.

      Delete
  6. A wildlife preserve sounds very interesting. I hope it was not really "wild" type animals. Did I miss out on hearing about your new half-sister? My brother-in-law recently discovered he had a half-sister. Did this come about through the ancestry.com? It is really "stinkin' hot" here, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was a wildlife preserve. There were deer, elk, red deer, mouflon sheep, Big Horn sheep, one buffalo (he didn't stay long), and all the various stuff that was wild and came and wenton their own, and the odd things the biologist brought from time to time. Yes, thanks to my son's Ancestry.com DNA test I now have a half-sister and two half-brothers.

      Delete
  7. Because my hubby flies RC, he HATES drones. I don't know what it's like in these parts, but in Arizona there was a certain level of animosity between the groups. As long as they don't interfere with commercial aircraft -- or violate someone's privacy … Oh, I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't really know how it works here. What I actually see more of is those paper lanterns that you light and send up in the sky.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for joining the Medley! Gosh, I hope your bathroom gets finished this weekend! Keep us posted on that! I'm impressed that you have ridden in a helicopter! I would like to do that but doubt I ever get the opportunity. Congrats to Tim on finishing that year-long project at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both! Pray for us and the bathroom, okay!? lol Yes, he is very glad it is finally about to be behind him. It's been one big headache the entire time.

      Delete
    2. I will make a prayer of intercession to St Vincent Ferrer, patron saint of plumbers.

      Best I could do on short notice.

      Delete
    3. Ha! Probably more helpful than a prayer to Sir Thomas Crapper!

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.