July 12, 2019

Saturday 9: Bonanza

Playing along with the most fun meme around. If you enjoyed it, visit the Saturday 9 to join in the fun!

Saturday 9: Bonanza (1959)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Bonanza ran on NBC for 14 seasons. Today it's rerun on Me-TV and TVLand. Were/are you a fan? 
You betcha! Little Joe was the hottest thing on a horse back in the day and one of my earliest crushes. I still enjoy an episode now and then.

2) The show centers on The Cartwrights, who lived on a massive ranch in Nevada. License plates in Nevada read, "The Silver State." What's on your license plate?  They used to say "The Keystone State," but a while back in an effort to show how cool and hep we are, the good folks in Harrisburg put the state web site on it. They now say "visitPA.com"


3) Ben Cartwright made his fortune as a cattle rancher. What's the last beef dish you ate?  Beef with broccoli in a ginger sauce.

4) Patriarch Ben had his eldest son, Adam, with his refined, bookish first wife, Elizabeth. Unfortunately, Elizabeth died in childbirth. Still Adam inherited her love of the written word. What's the last book you finished?  Basket Case, an easy, cozy mystery. Basically, a fun summer read.



5) Ben's second son, Hoss, was born to his second wife, Inger, who was killed as the family traveled West by wagon train. Hoss inherited her open, friendly manner and her way with animals. Are there pets in your home?  Just one these days. My little diva, Daisy.



6) Ben's youngest, Joe, arrived after Ben married a third time to the passionate Marie, who died in a riding accident when her son was only five years old. Little Joe inherited her impetuosity. Do you consider yourself more spontaneous or predictable?  I was definitely spontaneous when I was younger, but I'd have to say that age and responsibilities have made me more predictable...but don't always count on it. I still have some surprises up my sleeve.


7) Samuel Clemons was a reporter in Virginia City at the time when the Cartwrights would have been there, and a fictionalized version of Mr. Clemons appeared in an episode of Bonanza. Without looking it up, do you know Samuel Clemons' famous pen name?  Mark Twain...and no, I didn't have to look it up.

8) Hair was a big deal in the Bonanza dressing room. Three of the original four stars -- Lorne Greene, Pernell Roberts and Dan Blocker -- all wore hairpieces. (The fourth, Michael Landon, began dying his hair while still in his 20s because he was going prematurely gray.) Have you ever worn a wig or a hairpiece?
  Only for Halloween.


9) Random question -- Tell us the story behind one of your scars.  Old Vacation Bible School war wound. Some genius decided we should play "ring-around-the-rosy" in the church parking lot. The big kids and little kids all played together and when we got to "we all fall down," the big kids yanked all us little kids  (I was probably about 4) to the ground with them. Remember, we were on blacktop. I went down hard and cut my chin and my knee open. I don't remember pain, but I do remember lots of blood.

18 comments:

  1. How cute is Ginger?!

    #9 -- I think it's interesting that you remember the blood but not the pain. I wonder if that means that our visual sense is the strongest? (Just puttin' it out there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I don't know. I usually think my sense of smell invokes the strongest memories. One sniff of certain smells shoot me right back in time.

      Delete
  2. I have also mellowed out with age.
    #9 When I was little I was also the target of bullies from the older students

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you were bullied. I've endured some as a kid, too. I suppose most kids do. :( This wasn't bullying, though. Just a case of the older kids falling down and not thinking of what might happen to us little kids.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that wound doesnt sound a bit rosy... Yikes,, Wasn't Little Joe the cutest. That hair and those eyes... and I loved him in Little House so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Joe was the cutest Cartwright of them all! I loved Little House on the Prairie but have to say my crush was gone by then.

      Delete
  4. Oh Daisy!!! How cute are you!?! Your book sounds good too! I will have to put it on my to read list. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute and spoiled! She thinks she is the boss around here.

      Delete
  5. I finished The Big Kahuna last night and was disappointed, it wasn't as sharp and fast-paced as the others. And I missed some of the zany side characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but I do think it was better than the last one. Have you read the other series, Knight & Moon or Lizzie & Diesel?

      Delete
  6. We love beef and broccoli! In fact, you got Tom hooked on those Marie Callender dishes. I could go for one right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry about that! They are good, though. They're all I take to work for my lunches.

      Delete
  7. Not very nice of those kids to toss you to the ground! Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great lesson to learn at VBS. I had a big crush on Hoss. Go figure! LOL Daisy is a beautiful Diva! Our tags don't just say Florida... I was wrong. It is www.MyFlorida.com (like yours in PA). A fun S9!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they said something about being the "Sunshine State" when we lived there.

      Delete
  9. Oh that sounds painful! I don't remember any injuries on the blacktop but to this day I still get the chills when I see toddlers running on blacktop! It usually doesn't end well. :(

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.