December 26, 2018

Wednesday Medley

Hello and welcome to the day after Christmas! I'm here. You're here. We survived! 
My day was not what I'm used to since I worked on Christmas for the first time ever. I enjoyed being there for the residents at the nursing home, but I feel kind of cheated on my personal Christmas celebration. We had our dinner with my mom, stepdad, and our daughter and her family, when I got home last evening. Everyone had been together all afternoon and our grandson was all tuckered out and sleeping. After dinner we opened gifts, but our grandson, though awake, was grumpy and tired. We were only there about 2 1/2 hours before everyone started packing up and heading home because they were tired. 
I get another shot at it on Saturday when our son and his family come home. Unfortunately, my mom and stepdad won't be here as they leave on Friday for a cruise.
Well, you're not here to listen to me whine about Christmas so let's get on with the Wednesday Medley, brought to you courtesy of Terri @ Your Friend From Florida.



National Candy Cane Day is observed across the United States each year on December 26.
In 1844, a recipe for a straight peppermint candy stick, which was white with colored stripes, was published. However, some stories tell of all white candy sticks in much earlier times. There are folklore tales of the origin of the candy cane, yet there is no documented proof of its real beginning. It has been mentioned in literature since 1866 and was first known to be mentioned in association with Christmas in 1874.   As early as 1882, candy canes have been hung on Christmas trees.
1.  Are there candy canes left in your house right now?  Did you hang some on your tree?  Do you even like them?  There are still 12 of them hanging on the tree. I always put candy canes on the tree, though they are not always the red and white kind. It depends on the how I decorate the tree. When I decorated our tree with a beach theme the candy canes were in shades of turquoise, coral, and green. Do I like them? They are okay. I did better at eating them when they were Jolly Rancher flavors.
2.  Without a graphic, today is also National Thank You Note Day!  I like receiving that thank you note in the mail for a gift I have given.  Are you good about getting thank you notes in the mail after Christmas (or any occasion calling for a note)?  Yes, but we don't have many gifts sent to us or receive gifts from those who require a written thank-you, so I don't have to write very often.
3.  How are you feeling on this day after Christmas?  Tired, let down, still glowing?  I have felt all of those at one time or another and sometimes all of them at once! Tell us about it.  I suppose "let down" covers it today, but I already explained all that at the beginning of this post.
4.  It is "tradition" to leave the tree and decorations up until after January 6th, to honor the Epiphany. When will your boxes be packed and put away until next year?  Are you, like me, thinking about doing it right now?  I usually like to take the tree down on New Year's Day, but I work this year so I'm sure it will be up beyond the Epiphany...probably until my next weekend off, so January 12 or so.
5. Looking ahead to New Year's Eve, do you have plans?  Have you ever celebrated big in New York's Time Square? Would you even want to be there?  No plans this year. Again, I'm working. I've never celebrated in Times Square...and I have no desire to. I think it would be absolutely miserable. 
6. Tell us something random about your week so far!  I'm running out of time so I'll just refer you to yesterday's post.
I'm off to work so enjoy your day after Christmas, your leftovers, and playing with your presents.

12 comments:

  1. What a whirlwind of activity you're enduring, Stacy. Yet, I suspect you're doing it all with a smile. Unfortunately, I still recall the atmosphere of sadness that prevailed at mother's nursing home on Christmas. No matter how nice a facility, there are so many left with only their memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "All with a smile..." Maybe, except for my most private moments, but I have tried to keep my focus on how blessed we are, that having to work was only a small inconvenience in the big picture. I am very thankful that the home I work in was not a sad place. There were only one or two who mentioned not having any family nearby, but they were truly okay with the visits, phone calls, and mailed gifts they did get. I think it helps that the home really goes all out to make Christmas nice and one of the biggest companies in the area donated all the Christmas gifts so every resident received a big bag of gifts.

      Delete
  2. Working the holidays definitely isn't fun. I have done it many times in the past. Thankfully, my job has changed in the last years and I no longer have to work them. Saying all that, was just to say I understand your feelings. Hope you have a good time with the family that can be there on Saturday. Wishing you a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I'd definitely rather not have to work the holidays, but I did enjoy the time we had on Christmas and will enjoy all of our time on Saturday (I've announced I'm not even going to cook...just ordering pizza so I can relax and have fun along with everyone else.) We are incredibly blessed so I just keep my eyes on that. And the One who sent those blessings!

      Delete
  3. I'm sure that throws everything off with having to work on Christmas. Just try & focus on what a bright spot you were to residents that otherwise wouldnt have seen a friendly or caring face!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am, but I thank you and everyone else for helping me do that. I think it's just that it was the first time so adjusting to the change was a little harder. I loved my time with the residents on Christmas and I know that in the long run we are incredibly blessed.

      Delete
  4. Well, that is kind of a bummer to work on Christmas. Being married to a firefighter, that was something I had to get used to. Every third year, he had to work holidays. The candy canes I hung on the tree were jolly rancher flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not fun, but I know so many do necessary work on the holidays and I am so appreciative of everyone who makes the sacrifice. If I am at this job long enough, there will come a day when I have enough time worked to begin putting in for vacation time. Oh yum! Enjoy those Jolly Rancher candy canes!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for joining the Medley today!! I don't think I have ever had to work on Christmas Day, so my heart goes out to you and all who do (our youngest son included). I don't think anyone has answered that they would like to to to Times Square for the ball drop. No thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have zero desire to be at Times Square. We watched a show once that was talking about it and how there are like a million people there, all drinking for hours beforehand and no bathrooms...or very few. Sounds like the worst frat party possible!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have a beach themed tree but I'm saving it for when I am retired and actually live BY the ocean. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.