November 23, 2018

Saturday 9: Black Magic Woman

Happy day after Thanksgiving, everyone! I'm jumping in and linking up to Sam and the gang at the Saturday 9. I'm playing on Friday night because I have to work tomorrow. 

Boo.


Saturday 9: Black Magic Woman (1970)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune: Hear it here.


1) Black is this week's signature color because Friday, November 23, was "Black Friday," when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to the stores. Did you score any "Black Friday" bargains?  I had to work on Thanksgiving Day so we celebrated the holiday today. No way was I going to spend my Thanksgiving fighting Black Friday crowds. I don't need anything that bad...and most stores offer the same deals (or even better ones) online. 

2) On busy shopping days,  carts often litter parking lots. After loading your items into your car, are you careful to return your shopping cart to the store or the designated cart receptacle?  Yes, I am. I can't very well expect others to do it if I don't do it myself.


3) Who on your gift list is hardest to buy for?  It's probably my stepdad. I never have a clue what to get him since he no longer reads books.

4) Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes. Do your Thursday-Sunday plans include enjoying leftovers or watching a game? Not this year since today was the only day I have off in the stretch.

5) Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade is an annual event. It began in 1924 as a local event in New York. Today it's nationally televised. Did you watch it?  I saw some of it with the residents at the nursing home...and got yelled at when my boss came to get her mother-in-law for the day. She was really ticked that I had the parade on and was letting the residents watch and was watching a bit of it with them. The other girl working had it on in her wing, too, but Boss-lady didn't go down there so she didn't get yelled at. 

Anyway, Scrooge thought the residents should do their regular exercises and trivia that we do every morning and if they wanted to watch I should have gone to visit with other residents...who were for the most part sleeping, visiting with family, out for the day, or on the phone. Maybe she was just having a bad day, but her management style still leaves a lot to be desired.

6) What did you give thanks for on Thanksgiving 2018?  On the actual day? Not too much. It was not a good day and I wasn't in the best of moods. I put on my jammies, poured some wine and crashed on the sofa when I got home. I felt a lot more thankful today and I said the blessing when we ate. I'm thankful for my family and today I'm really thankful for the new love seat that was delivered this morning. Both ends have power recline and there is a console in the middle. We love it!

7) At the first Thanksgiving, there were no forks. Pilgrims ate with spoons and knives, and forks didn't become popular until the 18th century. Think about your Thanksgiving place setting. Did you have both a salad and a dinner fork?  No. We weren't very fancy this year so we just had the basics.

8) Pies are a popular Thanksgiving dessert. What kind of pie did you enjoy? Or did you have ice cream? Or did you skip dessert?  We all had pumpkin pie, of course, though apple was an option.

9) This week's featured band, Santana, was named for its founder, Carlos Santana. He was born in Mexico. When at a Mexican restaurant, what do you usually order?  We have a fabulous Mexican restaurant near us and I love to go there, but most of the other people in my life don't like Mexican food (except for Taco Bell) so I don't get there often. I usually get either beef enchiladas (I think they have a touch of cinnamon in them) or the Pina Loca, which is to die for. 

Pina Loca is made by scooping the "meat" out of half of a pineapple, then grilling the pineapple along with vegetables, pork, shrimp, beef, and chicken. All that yummy goodness is put back in the shell of the pineapple and served with all the fixings to make fajitas. 


Well, that's it and good thing since it's getting late and I'd better head to bed so I can drag myself out of bed in the morning. Enjoy your Saturday and I will catch up with everyone tomorrow evening!


12 comments:

  1. Yes to apple pie! Now I wish I'd had that instead of pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Pina Loca sounds delicious and I just checked my favorite Mexican restaurants in the area and none of them have it :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I love your new header! How mean-spirited of your boss. Regardless her having a bad day or not, I suspect that's why companies often lose good, loyal employees. I'd have had a hard-time biting my tongue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is pretty cheery, isn't it? I did have a hard time, but a boss is a boss and if you want to keep your job....

      Delete
  4. I think showing the residents the parade is a great idea! Let them enjoy Thanksgiving. I think you girls were right to let them. They can exercise later or the next day. I loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought so, too. Why do the same old same old on Thanksgiving. It was a holiday for heaven's sake.

      Delete
  5. Coal for Christmas to your boss. Good grief!! I'm sorry you have a stinky manager at your new job. It's the holidays! This was a fun S9 and I enjoyed your answers, Stacy. I could eat Mexican at least two days a week - Italian the other five! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dining combo would work for me if we can throw Chinese in there once or twice a week!

      Delete
  6. I feel the same way about shopping on Black Friday. Don't want to face all those crowds or fight the traffic. Online shopping is so much easier -- usually, anyway.
    Happy Saturday! Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your boss doesn't come in a lot. That sounds … troubling. I want you to like and enjoy your new job.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.