October 24, 2018

Would You Like to Swing on a Star

Welcome to the Wednesday Medley! I actually have time to play along today since I don't start work until noon today. Thanks for the great questions goes to Terri, our friend in Florida! There aren't any rules and there's no linking up so feel free to play along if you'd like. 

1.  On this day in 1908, Billy Murray hits the charts with his “Take Me Out to The Ball Game”.  Did you watch the MLB playoffs, and are you watching the World Series?  No and no. I'm no fan of baseball. I am, however, wondering if "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" Bill Murray is related to "Groundhog Day" Bill Murray?

2.  On this day in 1962, “The Manchurian Candidate”, directed by John Frankenheimer, starring Frank Sinatra and Laurence Harvey, was released.  What is your favorite Frank Sinatra song? I'm not really a Frank Sinatra fan, though I have seen him live in concert (my aunt offered to take me along) and I find myself listening to a good bit of his music when I'm at the nursing home. Everyone seems to insist that he is THE musical icon of the current senior generation. I try to play other things and have found that they respond more strongly to Bobby Vinton and Ricky Nelson and also that in this area, you can't go wrong with a polka. Anyway...I guess if I have to pick one of Frank's songs sung by him I'll choose Swinging on a Star.


3.  On this day in 1968, Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithful were busted for pot and released on £50 bail.  Has your state approved the sale of medical marijuana?  In a nutshell, what are your thoughts on the subject?  My state has approved the sale for medical purposes. In theory, I'm not against medical use, but I do think there should be a few hoops to jump through to get approved for using it. Getting a "prescription" seems a bit too lax.


4.  On this day in 1979, the Guinness Book of Records presented Paul McCartney with a rhodium disc as the all-time best-selling singer-songwriter. What is your favorite song by Paul McCartney?  By him alone? Silly Love Songs. By him and John Lennon? Yesterday.


5.  On this day in 2017, Albert Einstein’s “Theory of Happiness” written on a note as a tip for a bellboy in 1922, sold for $1.6 million.  His Theory of Happiness is:“A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.”   Was Einstein right?  In a very general sense. I'd rather have "joy" than happiness, though. Happiness is dependent on circumstances. Joy is deep seated and uninfluenced by what is going on around us. Joy is the inexplicable peace that comes from knowing Jesus Christ and having the hope of eternity far from the troubles of this world.


6.  Tell us something random about your week so far…  I came home from Bible study last night at 10:30 to find Tim gone to bed (expected) and my daughter and grandson camped out in the living room (unexpected). She said she'd come to see if I had a pacifier in the house so Colton would sleep. I gave her one and then she plopped back on the sofa and Colton continued to watch a show on TV. I emptied the dishwasher, put the dirties from the sink in, straightened up the kitchen a bit.....and they hadn't moved. I finally asked her how long she was planning to stay. She got all huffy and said she'd leave right then. What the heck???  Her dad had been in bed when she got there and she knew I have to work today. I hate that somewhere along the way she became "nocturnal" and thinks everyone else should be, too. I don't know how poor Colton is going to get turned around when it becomes time for school.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy! I'm hopping over here from Terri's blog to read your answers. Love your Einstein answer. I too know true joy through Jesus Christ and I agree with you 100%. Hope the nocturnal visits get straightened out in your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the visit. My son-in-law works midnight shift so I doubt they will have a normal schedule any time soon, though I hope they do something for the boy's sake or he will end up having problems at school when the time comes.

      Delete
  2. LOL! Family can be the greatest gift and also the greatest pains in the (you know what!) HA! Good luck convincing her to turn that schedule around...at least for your grandsons sake! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not terribly hopeful about her sleep habits. She has been sleeping away the days since she was 18 and she's 26 now.

      Delete
  3. I saw Frank Sinatra in concert once two. A group of us girls from work decided we wanted to see him before he died. lol That sounds awful, but we really did have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sort of why I went, too. I figured he was such a big star he was iconic and I shouldn't pass on it. It was his Diamond Jubilee Tour and he wasn't very good. Even with video prompters he kept messing up the words. I enjoyed the opening act, Steve and Edie Gormet, much more

      Delete
  4. I said the same thing about Bill Murray - he's such a baseball fan anyways.
    ... our youngest is such a nocturnal thing too. When she's in town, she says, I"ll stop by to see you all & then thinks that she can come over around 10PM & thinks that's perfectly normal - ON A WORK NIGHT. We finally had to tell her, we go to bed usually around 9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh....great minds! It seems like a lot of the younger generation is the same about staying up nights and sleeping days.

      Delete
  5. Man, who can go wrong with Bobby Vinton! My former DH was a huge Sinatra fan; one year I surprised him with concert tickets … even tho' it was a weeknight 180 miles away. Even being young(er) then, I was a WASTE the next day at work. I've not a drop of 'nocturnal' in me. 'Hope this situation with your daughter blows over quickly and with few hard feelings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man...180 miles away on a work night??? I don't think I've ever been young enough to have done well the next day! I'm a little nocturnal left to my own inner clock, but I still don't sleep late or anything. I just sleep less.

      Delete
  6. My son is nocturnal too. I am hoping he gets back to normal. I loved your answers! Happy Wednesday!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy. Can't you daughter be nocturnal at her own house? Someday she will think back and with she could take it back. Growing up sometimes takes more time than we think. Thanks for joining in on this week's Medley!! I will continue to work on getting the Linky thing to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only hope, but I think a lot of it is that she is sort of a scaredy cat about being alone at night.
      My mom is 74 and Bobby Vinton and Ricky Nelson are her favorites so I thought I'd try it. I don't know why they think everyone LOVES Sinatra so much.

      Delete
  8. I appreciated your answer to #5. Yes, real, lasting joy can only be found in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I'm afraid I am becoming a bit nocturnal as it is 11:19 a.m. and I'm wide awake. The alarm will still go off at 5:30 and we have a road trip tomorrow. Sleepless nights are not healthy at any age.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.