July 18, 2018

A Hodgepodge Goodbye



1. I feel most energized when I _______________________.  

Am well rested and getting lots of things done. Well rested, unfortunately, doesn't happen all that often. My sleep patterns resemble those of a toddler with ADHD on sugar overload.

2. Where were you ten years ago?


Getting ready for our son's wedding that would take place in early August. Both physically and mentally...we weren't ready to wrap our minds around having a kid old enough to get married. It was a beautiful day, though, and the Roaring '20s theme they chose was a lot of fun.

The last photo of us as a family of four.


3. July 17th is World Emoji Day. Do you use emojis? Which one's your favorite? Your most used?


I use emojis in my Facebook comments and once in a while in a text message. I don't know that I have a favorite, but I probably use the laughing ones the most....the heart is a close second.

4. What song would you put on a wedding DO NOT PLAY list?


I'm from southwestern Pennsylvania, land of of the firehall wedding, the cookie table, and polkas. Wedding receptions around here big deals. Really big deals. We polka, we do the chicken dance, the Electric Slide, the Macarena, and everything else that comes along (the Curly Shuffle was big when I got married). Most receptions have all kinds of music from polkas, to big band, to rock, to country. Sometimes there's a live band (not so common in this digital age), but most of the time there's a DJ and with WiFi they can fulfill any music request. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think I'd put anything on the "DO NOT PLAY" list unless it was something with explicit, hateful, or violent content.

Doing the Chicken Dance at our daughter's wedding.


5. What deserves less of your attention? More of your attention?


Less attention? That's easy...Facebook and online games. More attention? Bible study, my blog (actual writing rather than just memes), and the house.



6.  Insert your own random thought here.


Question 5 was well timed. I'm looking forward to a productive day sorting through things, paring down some of the clutter, and setting things aside for the garage sale our daughter wants to have at the end of this month. I'm going to rearrange the living room, too, and maybe even bake something for dessert tonight. We don't usually eat dessert and it's been ages since I've baked. Tim will probably be shocked if I do.

That's it for this week and for the summer. Joyce is
taking the rest of the summer off...and maybe forever.
She's promised one more Wednesday Hodgepodge in
September and will decide then if she will continue or not.
Whatever she decides, we can all send a big thank you
for several years of Hodgepodge fun. 

Enjoy your break, Joyce!
We'll see you in September.

15 comments:

  1. I was thinking I might bake a blueberry cobbler today. It's been way too hot to turn on the oven lately, but today is much cooler and I have blueberries to use up. So we will see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got loads of blueberries I need to do something with and it is cooler here today, too.

      Delete
  2. I've had a lot of house guests this summer, consequently a lot of dessert : ) I am hoping to write more than memes too, although they are a kickstart when you're in a blog/writing funk. I don't do many since I host one. Still thinking about a weekly link, just need to think about what will work. Have a great day! You're a good writer, so I hope you write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. Here's to all of us who want to write!

      Delete
  3. Great photo of you and your family. I think Al Capone would have approved of your son's suit. Awesome!!

    Writing for me too...

    I've been baking this week. Tons of zucchini bread, using a recipe for Pina Colada Zucchini Bread. It has crushed pineapple, coconut extract, and rum in it in addition to the zucchini.

    At Gabrielle's wedding 3 years ago, we had a wide variety of music, including Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. I had someone comment to me, "I have never seen anyone dance to this song, but those guys (all dancers, not just bride and groom) did a great job.

    Your upcoming day sounds very productive. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, that bread sounds wonderful! Would you share the recipe?
      My day hasn't been as productive as I'd hoped, at least not so far. I'd no sooner hit the publish button than my daughter called and asked me to babysit.

      Delete
  4. SW Pennsylvania weddings sounds like a lot of fun.
    Roaring 20's is a great theme.

    The Hodgepodge has been fun and it will be sad to see it go.
    Maybe Joyce will pass the baton on to another willing soul.

    Have a great day!

    https://apudiem.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do great receptions here! If you've ever seen the movie The Deer Hunter, the scene with the wedding reception...that's pretty much how it is, though the younger ones are getting away from the firehalls and church halls. The rest still looks a good bit like that.
      Hopefully, she will decide to keep going with something to keep us all connecting.

      Delete
  5. I hope you accomplish al you want to today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, some of it, but not all. My daughter called right after I posted and I ended up babysitting my grandson for about half the day. That's a good trade, though. :)

      Delete
  6. I agree on the music. All those songs are fun. Love that cartoon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure get everyone up and dancing, anyway, since EVERYONE knows them. No wallflowers during the chicken dance! LOL

      Delete
  7. I made pizzelles today. Haven't made any in a couple of months. Made the house smell good and Joe is happy! We enjoyed our first Pittsburgh wedding a couple of years ago (nephew) and experienced our first cookie room! Did the chicken dance too! Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anise pizzelles or vanilla? I like the vanilla, orange, and chocolate, but HATE the traditional anise. YUK!!
      So you know we throw great wedding receptions up here!

      Delete
  8. What a fun theme for a wedding! Weddings here is the deep south are a bit boring and very traditional. I enjoyed your answers to today's Hodgepodge. I'm going to miss Hodgepodge while it's on break. Do you participate in any other blog surveys like this one?
    Cheers.
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.