June 20, 2018

Up on a Roof with the Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. Summer is upon us this week in the Northern hemisphere. Tell us three things on your summer bucket list.

  • Take our youngest grandson to the zoo.
  • Take all of our grandkids to the 4th of July parade.
  • Hopefully get out of town for at least a long weekend.

2. Something fun you used to do as a kid in the summertime?  


Everything! I remember summer as this amazing, sun-kissed time of possibilities and freedom. I was out the door right after breakfast to meet up with my friends and didn't come back inside until supper...and it was back outside right after that. I don't remember ever being bored. 

We had amazing imaginations that took us through a never-ending string of adventures. We rode our bikes for miles and miles, gathered all the kids in the neighborhood for games of kickball, wiffleball, tag, and hide-n-seek. On a really good day we could talk somebody's mom into taking us to the beach at the local state park (nobody had swimming pools back then). We were always doing something. I even enjoyed the time spent in my dad's big garden every evening right after supper. I knew my friends would be waiting as soon as I was done.

The highlight of the summer was always the 4th of July celebration in my neighborhood. We had a neighborhood picnic that lasted all day (and the family who hosted it each year DID have a pool!) and ended late at night with us kids splayed out on blankets and the adults settled into lawn chairs to watch the town's fireworks. It was almost better than Christmas.

3. Rooftop or backyard? Why? Are we talking about for picnicking, entertaining, and relaxing? Then I'm going with the backyard. My roof is not made for any of that.

4. Do you read food labels? Place importance on them? Make an effort to find out/care about where your food comes from?  Sometimes. I look at calories, carbs, fat, and sodium.

5. A song you'll have on repeat this summer?  All Summer Long by Kid Rock. Best summer song ever.

6. Inse
rt your own random thought here. Today is my husband's knee surgery so we will be heading out in a few minutes. Say a prayer for us. He's a horrible patient and he thinks he's going back to work tomorrow. I'll catch up with everyone later today.

12 comments:

  1. I picked the same summer song!!! Wow! It really is the best summer song ever!!!!! I am now following - you can follow back if you wish at Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! It takes me right back to those summer days of my teens like no other song. Plus, it makes you want to MOVE!

      Delete
  2. Hope your husbands surgery and recovery go really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The surgery went well. We'll see about the recovery. I may have to hide the keys to all the vehicles to keep him from going to work.

      Delete
  3. I remember those summers too - neighborhood kids, riding bikes, all around fun. My kids don't do those same things. Maybe some, but no to the same extent. I don't know if times have changed or kids or what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids here don't do much of that, either. It's really kind of sad that I can drive all through my neighborhood on a beautiful summer day and never see any kids outside playing.

      Delete
  4. Great summer memories! Hoping your husband's surgery has gone well this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kid Rock is a great choice, Stacy! Prayers for your hubby's swift recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like his music when he sings rather than raps. Thanks for the prayers!

      Delete
  6. I saw on FB that the surgery went well. Sure hope you can keep him at home for a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he's home today, but I hid his keys just in case.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.