Joining with all the thieves over at Sunday Stealing for a fun July 4th meme today.
1. Do you like parades? I freakin' LOVE parades. I get that from my dad. There was no bigger fan than him. We went to all the parades there were to go to when he was alive. I'd still like to go, but since he passed away and the kids grew up I rarely get to go. I have hopes that having our youngest grandson living so close will mean going to the parades again. My husband doesn't like the parades very much, but he does like doing anything the grandkids like.
2. Rate the following parade attractions in order of affection:
*. horses - 4, because I'm a horsey girl from way back.
*. marching bands - 2, because I love marching bands.
*. floats - 3, because they're fun.
*. anything that gives away candy - 1, but only because of the grandkids.
*. politicians ride in cars - 7, because who cares? But how about veteran's groups, boy scouts, majorettes and stuff?
*. antique cars/tractors - 6, because the guys like them.
*. fire trucks - 5, because...sirens.
3. Have you ever been in a parade? I've been in lots of Halloween parades and when a church we used to attend celebrated its 100th anniversary we built a model of the church and had everyone involved with Vacation Bible School walk along. We passed out candy, water, and flyers about the church.
4. Do you bring lawn chairs to parades? Only to the Fourth of July parade. Our town's parade is the biggest one in the area and it's a good 2 hours long.
5. Does it bother you to have to park a long way from the parade, and then walk back to the car afterwards? It didn't used to, but with all the pain I have in my feet and ankles these days, I know I will be in a lot of pain if we do go.
6. Do you wave at people you know? Absolutely!
7. At people you don't know? Sure! The Fourth of July parade is just one big old party. There are events all week leading up to the parade, a carnival runs all week, and then there are fireworks the night of the Fourth.
8. Do you take pets -dogs particularly - to parades? No. It's too confusing, loud, hot, etc. for the pups...and no place for them to potty.
9 Have you ever been to a big parade in person (Rose Bowl, Macy's, etc)? No, but I would love to go to either one. I don't think it's going to happen, though, since my family doesn't even let me watch them...another tradition gone since my dad passed.
10. Do you attend more warm weather or cold weather parades? It was always pretty even when I did get to go to parades. The other huge parade around here is in October. It's part of the Fort Ligonier Days celebration and is a big freakin' deal!