June 30, 2018

A Yankee Doodle Dandy of a Sunday Stealing

Joining with all the thieves over at Sunday Stealing for a fun July 4th meme today.

1. Do you like parades?  I freakin' LOVE parades. I get that from my dad. There was no bigger fan than him. We went to all the parades there were to go to when he was alive. I'd still like to go, but since he passed away and the kids grew up I rarely get to go. I have hopes that having our youngest grandson living so close will mean going to the parades again. My husband doesn't like the parades very much, but he does like doing anything the grandkids like.

2. Rate the following parade attractions in order of affection:
*. horses - 4, because I'm a horsey girl from way back.
*. marching bands - 2, because I love marching bands.

*. floats - 3, because they're fun.
*. anything that gives away candy - 1, but only because of the grandkids.
*. politicians ride in cars - 7, because who cares? But how about veteran's groups, boy scouts, majorettes and stuff?
*. antique cars/tractors - 6, because the guys like them.
*. fire trucks - 5, because...sirens.

3. Have you ever been in a parade? I've been in lots of Halloween parades and when a church we used to attend celebrated its 100th anniversary we built a model of the church and had everyone involved with Vacation Bible School walk along. We passed out candy, water, and flyers about the church.

4. Do you bring lawn chairs to parades?  Only to the Fourth of July parade. Our town's parade is the biggest one in the area and it's a good 2 hours long.

5. Does it bother you to have to park a long way from the parade, and then walk back to the car afterwards?  It didn't used to, but with all the pain I have in my feet and ankles these days, I know I will be in a lot of pain if we do go.

6. Do you wave at people you know?  Absolutely!

7. At people you don't know?  Sure! The Fourth of July parade is just one big old party. There are events all week leading up to the parade, a carnival runs all week, and then there are fireworks the night of the Fourth.

8. Do you take pets -dogs particularly - to parades?  No. It's too confusing, loud, hot, etc. for the pups...and no place for them to potty.

9 Have you ever been to a big parade in person (Rose Bowl, Macy's, etc)?  No, but I would love to go to either one. I don't think it's going to happen, though, since my family doesn't even let me watch them...another tradition gone since my dad passed.

10. Do you attend more warm weather or cold weather parades? It was always pretty even when I did get to go to parades. The other huge parade around here is in October. It's part of the Fort Ligonier Days celebration and is a big freakin' deal!





6 comments:

  1. Love your answer to #8. I worry so much about critters over the 4th. It's too loud and too hot and too confusing for our fur bearing friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would enjoy a parade on a large venue scale, but the local parades include tractors and that's a snooze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post actually got me excited about parades! LOL And I could care less about going to a parade these days. I DO enjoy watching the big ones on TV though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting old and having those feet and ankle pains do make a differences, I must say. My solution has been custom orthotics and diabetic sneakers (Apex brand). It helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with you on #8 too. Some people think that because they love something their dog will love it too. I don't think so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Fourth of July sounds like a lot of fun.
    Horses came first for a lot of us. I like to see the big farm horses and the teams. And you are right about dogs at parades. Dogs don't enjoy everything they get dragged to. And Parades are not great because of the horses, and there are almost ALWAYS horses.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.