1. It's that time of year again...time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words (or phrases) they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, or genera uselessness) in 2018. You can read more about the decision making process and word meaning here, but this year's top vote getters are-
unpack, dish (as in dish out the latest rumor), pre-owned, onboarding/offboarding, nothingburger, let that sink in, let me ask you this, impactful, Cofefe, drill down, fake news, hot water heater (hot water doesn't need to be heated), and gig economy
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
I can't say there are any words or phrases that have really bothered me this year, except for the names both sides of the political divide have been flinging at each other. Of the things on the list, I guess I'm over dish, Cofefe, and fake news. I can't say I've even heard some of the others used.
2. What's something you need to get rid of in the new year?
Oh boy, where to start? I really need to declutter the whole house. I come from a long line of pack rats who hang on to everything. While I'm not that bad (most of my family thinks I'm genetically defective since I actually do get rid of things), I still have too much stuff.
3. Where do you feel stuck?
My job. I don't really like it these days, but I love having the whole summer off and not having to work nights, weekends or holidays. I haven't been able to find anything I would like more that wouldn't require working some or all of those times.
4. January is National Soup Month. When did you last have a bowl of soup? Was it made from scratch or from a can? Your favorite canned soup? Your favorite soup to make from scratch on a cold winter's day?
I just had soup yesterday. It was leftover ham and bean soup that I made on Saturday. I keep cans of Progresso soup on hand for lunches on work days. My favorites are the Hearty Chicken Noodle and Wedding. My favorite soup to make from scratch is vegetable beef. Here's a peek at the last time I made it.
5. Tell us one thing you're looking forward to in 2018.
Other than getting the bathroom remodel over and done with, I can't think of anything. So far this year is a blank slate and we don't have any plans or events coming up that I can think of.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
School started back up yesterday following the Christmas break and for the second day in a row we are on a 2-hour delay due to the cold temperatures. The school superintendent waited until the last minute to call the delay today...irritating most everyone since today is a good bit colder than yesterday and everyone knew it was going to be last night. Anyway, the rest of the week isn't looking to be any warmer so now we're wondering if we will run on a delay all week. It's weeks like this that make me think I could be happy as one of those folks who spend the winter in Florida.