December 28, 2017

Thankful Thursday: Christmas Blessings

What a great day to end my holiday break from blogging. Thankful Thursdays are my favorite blogging days, because what is better than showing gratitude for all the things God has blessed us with? A special thank you to Rebecca Jo @ Knit By God's Hand for hosting the link up week after week.


This week I am thankful...

* for a blessed and happy Christmas with my children, grandchildren, mom, stepdad, and husband.

Watching Colton's reaction to his Abominable Snowman
sing "Have a Holly, Jolly Christmas."

Pappy, daughter Megan, and daughter-in-law Ashlei
watch as the kids begin tearing into presents.

Colton shadowed Aeden all day.

Figuring out the Lego kits.

The day ended with a concert featuring Sora on bongos, Aeden
on guitar, and Colton on the drums.  All overseen by dad (and
uncle), Matt, the family musician.

* we were able to give gifts that were needed and really wanted.  Highlights included: A Makita tool kit for our son (exactly what he wanted); a yearly membership to the Carnegie Museums for our son's family; the new big boy car seat Colton was in need of; a toolbox and REAL tools for Aeden; a chest freezer for our daughter and her husband; and bikes for our son's kids.

Unwrapping the car seat.

Opening the box I used to disguise the papers on the freezer,
which will be delivered in January.

Two happy bikers!

* for special moments and memories created. The best being the moment when my mom gave my son his grandfather's white gold and diamond wedding band. We all teared up. 

* for those who knew I'd be missing my dog, Elvis, at Christmas. My friend gave me an ornament that looked like him with angel wings and a halo and my mom gave me a beautiful blown glass Basset Hound ornament. I love them both and will not be packing them away with the Christmas decorations.

* Tim and I didn't exchange gifts this year. Instead, we went to Lowe's the day after Christmas and picked out and purchased all the tile (over $800 worth!) we need for the bathroom. I told him after 15 months of being without our main bathroom, that getting it done was all I wanted. I'm tired of everyone having to tromp through our bedroom to use the master bathroom. It's going to be so pretty. I can't wait and when it's done I will definitely share pictures.

* for a bit of a girls' day with my friend, Fran, today. We drove to the only stylist around who does our Deva Curl cuts (with the drive to Fran's and then to the salon, it's about an hour-long drive for me). There's a bakery next to the salon and after smelling the cinnamon wafting through the walls we practically ran over when we were done. I bought 2 of those cinnamon rolls to bring home...they are huge at around 6-inches across! Then we drove to a favorite restaurant near Fran's for lunch. I got home just before 4:00. Gotta love a day with a friend just laughing and carrying on.

* for all those Hallmark movies...and they're still on even though Christmas is over. I kind of got addicted to them this year and I think they are kind of what got me back in the Christmas mood after losing Elvis.

* that Colton was okay last night after pulling Sora's new bike over on himself and taking a good knock to the head. We took him to get checked out, but it was pretty obvious he was just fine in spite of the small dent in his forehead! I took a video of him in the exam room when we were waiting and trying to keep him amused...but I don't know how to post my own videos. If you're on Facebook you can look me up and see it there.

* that Tim was so great about helping me finish up our shopping on Saturday and with wrapping those presents after we got home from our friends' home on Christmas Eve.

* for small gifts. I'm sort of hesitant in my relationship with my daughter-in-law because it was rather rocky for a lot of years so when we parted on Christmas Day I just said goodbye and wished her a merry Christmas. She walked over and gave me a hug and thanked me for everything. That was probably the best gift I received.

Well, I am off to tackle the kitchen since one thing I didn't get for Christmas was a maid. Ha! I am thankful for that messy kitchen, though....it means we have plenty of food and then some.

I hope your Christmas was wonderful and if we don't meet back here before then (I don't know if the memes are running this week or not) I wish you and your families a very happy and healthy new year!

8 comments:

  1. Oh man... glad Colton was ok with the bike falling on him. Kids are so resilient though. Love God made them that way.
    I love gifts that are so practical & useful & you know they are helpful & not going to be tossed in a closet.
    YIPPPPEEE for doing a new house project instead of gifts. Cant wait to see how it turns out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's a good thing God made kids to bounce!
      I can't wait, either. I'm hoping he gets to start working on it this weekend.

      Delete
  2. What wonderful gifts you gave and it looks like all were having fun with what they got. So glad Colton is okay. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your bathroom and new tile.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and a Happy New Year to you and your family!

      Delete
  3. I loved seeing your photos and I do see many happy faces and lots of love! That hug from your dil was great! Can't wait to see the bathroom finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea about wrapping the (freezer) papers in that big box!

    I loved the part about your mom gifting your son his grandfather's ring. Misty moments, indeed. My mom once did something similar where she had my grandparents old gold jewelry melted down and made into rings for Troy and me.

    Loved Colton's video! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's so snoopy I had to do something to keep her guessing! LOL
    I am very sentimental about old things...even things that belonged to great-grandparents that I didn't know.
    Yeah, Colton is a real ham. His mom is ALWAYS filming or photographing him so he's used to it. Half the time he just stops and poses.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.