October 7, 2017

Turn Me Loose

Saturday 9: Turn Me Loose (1959)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) In this song, Fabian sings he has change in his pocket. Every evening, Sam puts her change in the piggy bank on her kitchen counter. Do you do anything special with your coins? Or do they just jingle/jangle in your wallet or pocket until you spend them?  

I have a cup in the console of my car that I toss coins and ones into so I have money for parking meters and tolls. Otherwise my change jar in the house doesn't fill up like it used to. We hardly ever carry cash...using the debit cards for everything. 

2) Fabian got his start because his neighbor in Philadelphia owned a record label and thought 14-year-old Fabian had the looks to be a teen idol. Tell us about a time recently when you were in the right place at the right time.

I really can't think of a recent example.

3) His record label paid Fabian $30 week to study singing after school. What jobs/chores did you have when you were in high school? Did they prepare you for your eventual career?

I babysat for my dad's boss. The only thing that prepared me for was lecherous, disgusting older men.  I also worked one summer for the Youth Conservation Corps as part of a crew of teens in the Pocono Mountains. We did things like clear hiking trails, muck out overgrown ponds, build "steps" in trout streams, pick up garbage along roads, etc. I loved it, but it didn't help with my future job or career. It could have...I wanted to study land and wildlife management, but none of the schools offering programs were local and Dad vetoed them.

4) In 1959 he appeared on the cover of now-defunct magazines like Teen Screen and Dig. Who and what did you read about when you were a teenager?

I remember reading Tiger Beat and Teen Beat magazines. Who did I read about? Andy Gibb, The Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garret...5) In the 1960s he moved from singing to acting. In 1965 he appeared in Ten Little Indians, a screen adaptation of an Agatha Christie mystery. Have you ever read an Agatha Christie book? 

I've tried and just couldn't get into it. That was quite a while ago, though. Maybe it would be different if I tried again now.

6) In 1973, in an attempt to jumpstart his career, he appeared nude in Playgirlmagazine. By the time it hit the newsstands, he regretted it.  Tell us about a time you were very embarrassed.

When my husband and I were dating there was this one Sunday we were cleaning his swimming pool and found we needed some chemical or another so a quick run to the pool supply store was in order.  I was in my swimsuit so I just threw a pair of those vintage 80's style nylon running shorts and a cropped sweatshirt over top and a pair of scruffy Nikes.  No make-up.  Frizzy hair.  And that's the day he decided would be the perfect time to stop by the ritzy home of his snooty aunt and uncle and introduce me to them.  I could have killed him.

7) In 1959, when this song was popular, most women wore nylons on a daily basis and the average price per pair was $1. What socks or leg wear -- if any -- do you have on right now?

None. I loathe nylons and avoid them at all cost. I didn't even wear them at my daughter's wedding a few weeks ago. I dressed up, but no nylons. Mostly I avoid socks and shoes beyond slip ons or sandals until it's so cold I have to wear them.
8) 1959 also saw the premiere of The Twilight Zone on CBS. 58 years later, you can still see the show in reruns. Are you a fan?

I used to be. I might still watch now and then if it were on around here, but I haven't seen it listed in years.
  
9) Random Question: While we're talking about TV ... Sam finds it disturbing that her brother claims he's seen every episode of Bad Blood, a show devoted to family members who have murdered their relatives. Do you enjoy "true crime" reality shows?


I don't know that I enjoy them, but my husband sure does so they're on a good bit around here. I don't mind a couple here and there and do find them interesting, but when he's had them on all day (a Sunday habit if he's home) I find myself begging to please, watch something else. They are so depressing and several hours of them get to me.


Stop by and give a Sam a hand for being our
Saturday 9 hostess every week and
find links to the other players.


6 comments:

  1. #7 = YES!!! I might be bundled up in a sweater and jeans but my feet will be in sandals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you find that you like Agatha Christie's books when you try them again. They are some of the most interesting plots. No really nasty stuff is in them, something I've come to appreciate. I like the old film versions. Actress Joan Hickson's and they are on Netflix, I think.
    I just took the Twilight Zone out of Netflix, as it sat there for a couple of years and we never watched a single one.
    I'm with you on the shoes and sox thing. In the house, I'm barefooted all the time. And in winter I wear Teva's and wool socks I've knit. Socks inside shoes hurt my feet because they bunch all the toes together. Too many of my toes already ache. *hops around in pain just thinking about it*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your answers! We are usually very close on a few of the subjects! Does anyone wear hose anymore?! No one I know....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't want to be an alarmist, but you might want to call your bank. Debit cards don't *automatically* come with all the same protections credit cards legally have to -- though some banks are nice enough/smart enough to provide them. If your bank doesn't, you may want to put everything on a credit card that you pay off each month. I think we're all at risk for hacking, and you don't want to lose anything that can't be replaced (like your checking/savings).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's not into Ms. Christie's books. I mean, when there's so many great contemporary offerings to be had?!

    Sometime do tell us how the encounter with 'ritzy' aunt and uncle turned out. Did you eventually become close?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss Stacy: Yes, credit cards are just as easily hacked as debit cards. My point is the protections banks must have in place. With a credit product, the legal limit of your liability is $50. There is no such law in place about checking/savings accounts. Some banks choose to treat both products the same, but they don't have to. You might want to call your bank and ask them their policy about protecting your funds (as opposed to protecting your account number) and whether they will reimburse your checking account if the money is removed. If they won't, perhaps you should shop around for a different bank. Here's an article that may explain it better than I do ... http://clark.com/personal-finance-credit/only-reason-to-use-debit-card-avoid-risk-fraud/

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.