Good morning and a wonderful Wednesday to you! Thanks for stopping by to play the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Thank you to Joyce @ From This Side of the Pond for hosting and coming up with the questions week after week.
1. When was the last time you chatted with a neighbor? We live next to my mom, so I talk with her almost daily. As for non-related neighbors beyond saying "hello," it's probably been a week or so since I've had a real conversation. About what? (sharing that last bit is optional) With Mom it was about my stepdad's condition. He's in the hospital, having had a heart cath on Monday. With another neighbor...I think it was about her vacation.
2. River, lake, ocean, or waterfall...which one are you most like and why? Somewhere between a lake and an ocean, I think. I'm deeper than you might first think and you will never know everything about me but I'm maybe not as tempestuous as the ocean. Like a lake I can be still on the surface and churning underneath.
3. July 13 is National Delaware Day. Ever been to Delaware? Yes. My husband's youngest sister used to live there and the whole family went there for the Fourth of July once. Delaware is called 'the first state' because it was the first to declare independence from the British. What's your state's nickname and does that moniker make sense to you? Pennsylvania is the Keystone State because it sat in the middle of the 13 original colonies. It joined the north and south so yes, it makes sense. It held the young republic together. If you were in charge, what nickname would you give your home state? These days? The Land of Taxes would fit.
4. What dish did you contribute to the last pot luck meal you attended? I don't remember, but there's a good chance it was Hobo Beans. Do you have a go-to recipe for pot luck suppers? The Hobo Beans are one of my go-tos. It's basically 1 can each of butter beans (drained), chili beans (hot, medium or mild depending on taste), kidney beans (drained), pinto beans (drained), green beans (drained), yellow wax beans (drained), and baked beans. 1/2 lb. of sweet sausage, 1/4 lb. hot sausage, and one chopped onion ...cooked until meat is done. Then stirred in to the meat mix is a can of tomato paste, a cup of brown sugar, a couple Tbsp of spicy brown mustard....I feel like I'm forgetting something but I think my mom borrowed the recipe so I can't check. You put all the beans in a crock pot, pour the meat mixture over all and stir. Cook on low until heated through. YUM!
5. What is your number one tip for a brand new parent? Relax. Parents have been messing up since the beginning of time and kids survive and even thrive. Don't let the critics and "perfect" moms get to you. You know yourself and your child. Do what's right for you.
6. Insert your own random thought here. I saw this the other day and thought it was excellent advice.