I'm feeling more than a bit tired after a week of dealing with my daughter's health issues that had me at the ER with her one night (baby in tow), spending the night at her apartment one night, her and the baby "camping" out on our living room floor another night, a visit to MedExpress (baby in tow), and baby sitting till late last night while her fiancee took her to the ER again.
I guess we should get down to business before I accidentally fall asleep!
Saturday 9: As Long as We Got Each Other (Theme from Growing Pains)... because it's Father's Day weekend
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This is the theme from the 1980s sitcom, Growing Pains. Alan Thicke played Dr. Jason Seaver, one of TVs popular dads. Who is your favorite TV dad?
I'm a child of the 70s. I adored Mr. C...Howard Cunningham of Happy Days!
2) Joanna Kearns, who played Jason's wife, reports that she teased her costar by calling him, "Al," a nickname he hated. Is there someone in your life that you enjoy needling?
There's this one goofy guy I work with...we all tease him a lot. He's a good sport about it and plays along.
3) For most of the series, the Seaver children each represented a "type." The oldest, Mike, was the trouble maker. The daughter, Carol, was the brainiac. Young Ben could be very high maintenance. Which of the Seaver kids were you most like when you were growing up?
Probably somewhere between Mike and Carol. I was a very good student, but I had a rebellious streak at home.
I would have totally identified with this song had it existed back then.
4) In the song, BJ Thomas sings about being "the luckiest dreamer who never quit dreaming." If you could have any dream come true this Saturday, what would you wish for?
To be completely out of debt.
5) When he mans the grill, Sam's father proudly wears the "Kiss the Chef" she gave him for Father's Day years ago. Tell us about a gift you gave someone that was a hit.
My daughter struggles with depression and anxiety. A couple of years ago she was in a bad place, feeling very down on herself and at loose ends. The one thing she loved was photography (and she was good...with an excellent eye for the good shot). She wanted a good camera for Christmas. I couldn't afford to buy what she was asking for at the time, so after speaking to my husband, we gave her the big expensive Nikon set up he had given me a couple of years previously. She bawled when she opened it.
6) Sam's dad takes his grilling very seriously and jealously guards his special marinade recipe. Do you have a secret you haven't even shared with family members?
Nah...if I find a good recipe I share it.
7) He recommends using a grill basket when barbecuing vegetables so you don't have to worry about them falling through the grill. Share one of your culinary tips with us.
I'll do you one better. I'll share my "recipe" for Crack Zucchini.
Lightly spray a cookie sheet with PAM. Slice a zucchini (not a huge one with seeds and not a fingerling) and place the slices in a single layer on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese over zucchini. Sprinkle Panko crumbs over all. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper and sea salt to taste. Optional: sprinkle crumbled bacon over all. Broil until cheese melts and Panko is toasted. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chives.
8) Sam's father hates it when she swears. What's the last curse word you used?
I don't know. I try not to swear. When I'm frustrated I tend to use a phrase my son used back in high school..."Poop on a stick!"
9) Sam's father satisfies his afternoon sugar craving with an almost endless stream of Butter Rum Lifesavers. When you crave a snack, do you usually want something sweet or salty?
Salty. I am all about the crunchy, salty snacks.
Have an awesome Saturday!