March 22, 2017

Springing the Hodgepodge

From this Side of the Pond
Click the button to visit our host blog.

Welcome to the first Wednesday Hodgepodge of spring!  I don't know about your neck of the woods, but it's COLD here today...back in the 30s and the temperatures are to be in the mid-teens tonight.  Brrrr!  That doesn't sound much like spring.  However, we are to see a warm up with temperatures in the 60s from Friday through next week and maybe even the 70s on Sunday.  It's suppose to come with rain nearly every day, but I'll take it!

Please be sure to click the pretty button up at the top of the post to visit the host blog From This This Side of the Pond, and check out all the other Hodgepodgers.

1. Setting aside the real March Madness (NCAA Basketball) describe something happening at your house this month that might earn the title 'March Madness'?

We (which means, me) have begun actively preparing for our daughter's September wedding. I did nothing but make phone calls during my every free moment this past Monday.  If I have learned anything it is that it pays to call every listing in the phone book for every service and rental you need.  The drastic differences in price make it something you can't afford not to do.  Just one example would be the tent and dance floor rental.  At one place it's $1850 for a 40'x40' tent and another $950 for a 16'x16' dance floor.  At another place it's $760 for a 40'x60' tent and only $695 for a 20'x20' dance floor.  All the other places had every price in between.

I have also learned a great deal about porta-potties this week.  My stepfather, whose farm the wedding is being held on, has well water.  I can't turn 100 wedding guests loose on his bathroom.

2. What's a favorite made up word from your childhood or a favorite from your children's childhood? Does your family still use the word today? If there's a story behind the origin please share.

I can't think of any made up words, though I am sure right after I publish I'll think of at least four.  All I can think of is the name a neighbor gave my daughter when she was small....Megalooch.  Her name is Megan, so Mega + Looch.  We still call her Looch at times.

3. Will you be doing any spring cleaning now that the season is upon us? I read here a list of 15 quick (under one hour) spring cleaning tasks. They were-

clean out a drawer, vacuum furniture, whiten tile grout, dust the nooks and crannies you don't get to year round, degrease kitchen cabinets, wipe down walls, go behind furniture, wipe down ceiling fans, vacuum the mattress, clean the range hood, wash baseboards, shine the stainless steel, clean out vents, tackle the windows, and wipe down gadgets

Of the fifteen 'quick' tasks listed which two most need doing at your house? Will you do them?


I do need to do a few of those, with wiping down the walls and cleaning out the vents being the most needed.  I have this Friday off so maybe I'll actually get started on that.

4. A favorite movie set in Paris or New York?

I'm really not a city kind of girl.  I can't think of a single movie I like except Home Alone 2 that is set in New York and I've got nothing at all for Paris.

5. What's put a spring in your step this month?

Finally being completely over the cough that wouldn't die has put a LOT of spring in my step.  I don't think I realized how worn out and down I was from nearly 3 months of coughing.

6. Did you ever want to be a teacher? Why or why not?

No, never.  Being cooped up in a room full of kids is not my thing. I was drawn to more creative or solitary fields like writing or architecture.  Other fields that interested me were more physical and outdoorsy, like a park ranger or zoo biologist.

7.  What's your favorite floral scent? Do you have this somewhere in your home or maybe in a perfume? How do you feel about florals in food? How about wines with floral notes-yay or nay?

I'm actually not terribly fond of floral scents...they tend to overpower my sinuses and give me a headache.  I usually choose fruity scents.  I don't know if I've ever had florals in food.  I can't think of any.  In wines?  NAY!  I've tried a few and to me they taste just like the flower smells.  Yuck.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

This is the first time I've had time to post since the weekend.  It's been busy. We went out Sunday and did a major shopping trip....lots of meats and veggies. (We're trying to be good.)  Our daughter call just as we were getting started and asked if we could come over and watch the baby for just a bit so she could get some cleaning done.  So, after shopping and taking it all home and putting it away, we headed to her place for some time with our grandson.


By the time we got home it was time for supper and then showers and early to bed.  

Monday I lost most of my time between runs because one kid missed the tech bus and I had to drive all the way back to Tech (about 1/4 mile from my house), pick him up and then take him back to the high school before I could take my bus to the garage and come home.  Our daughter and grandson came over in the evening.

Yesterday, I ran errands and last night I had bible study to go to.  Plus, our teacher made a good imitation of Panera Bread's creamy pumpkin/squash soup. We also had pepperoni rolls, watermelon pie, chicken nuggets, and a birthday cake for one woman's daughter.  I was there till after 9:00 so when I got home I just fell into bed.

I'm looking forward to a quiet evening at home in my pj's tonight.

That's it for this week.  Have a blessed week, everyone!


4 comments:

  1. Planning a wedding is a full time job! A fun and rewarding job, but nevertheless a lot of work. Good luck with yours! What is watermelon pie? That sounds like something I would like. Enjoy your quiet evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those jell-o dream whip pies, but the woman who made it put chunks of real watermelon in it. It was like a bite of summer...so light and refreshing!

      Delete
  2. Quiet evenings in PJs....the best! Adorable child in that last photo!! I'm glad I'm not the only person with a sensitive nose!! Enjoyed your HP today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely in my pj's so far! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.