March 25, 2017

Saturday 9: The Heat of the Moment (1982)

Saturday 9: The Heat of the Moment (1982)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.



1) What's something you did or said "in the heat of the moment?"  

I don't know, right off hand, but I'm sure I've said plenty of things in the heat of the moment. Sometimes it's hard to remember keep your mouth closed until you cool off a bit.

2) Asia's founder and bass player, John Wetton, passed away in January. One of his bandmates remembered him as a reliable performer who made everyone around him look better. Do you enjoy being the center of attention? Or would you, like Mr. Wetton, prefer to play a supporting role? 


I think I'm somewhere in the middle on that.  Most of the time I don't want to be the center of attention, but it is nice to get attention and recognition for things you're good at.

3) Asia is a British band who played their first US concert at Clarkson University in Potsdam, New York. The nearest major city -- Ottawa, Canada -- is a 90-minute drive from Pottsdam. When you were last in the car for an hour or more? Where were you going?


In the car?  I guess that would have been back at Christmas.  My husband and I drove to Ohio to eat at a restaurant.  I think that was actually about 2 hours.

4) The song refers to disco hot spots, which apparently, by 1982, no one wanted to go to anymore. Let's make that negative into a positive.Describe your perfect night out with friends. Where would you go?


With my friends?  Just out for dinner somewhere with great food and maybe we'd have a drink or two.  The location is secondary to the company.  We have a great time together and amazing conversations.
 
5) In 1982, the year this song was popular, someone laced bottles of Tylenol with cyanide. That's why we now have tamper-proof caps on many products. Have you used anything in a tamper-proof bottle yet today? 


Yep, I've already had my daily round of medications and vitamins.

6) In 1982, Time Magazine's Person of the Year wasn't a person at all, it was "the computer." What do you use your computer for most often?


Blogging, Facebook, games.  I don't have anything going on right now that requires much use of the Office program I pay for each month.  And since I've mentioned it....I miss when computers came with Office installed and stuff got stored on the computer.  This cloud business really irks me.

7) 1982 also saw the premiere of The Weather Channel. Where do you learn the day's weather forecast? (Watching the local news on TV, checking your phone, looking out the window ...)

I watch the local news in the morning, but I also have The Weather Channel app on my phone.  Half the time looking out the window would be just as accurate as the pros.

8) In 1982, Arnold Schwarzenegger's movie, Conan the Barbarian, was a hit in theaters. When you settle down to watch a movie, is it usually a fantasy, like Conan? Or do you prefer another genre (action, comedy, adventure, romance, drama, classic ...)

I tend to like rom-coms and adventures.  Put both together (Romancing the Stone, Sahara) and I'm in movie heaven.
  
9) Random question: What is something you try to avoid?


Confrontation.  I have a tendency to let people get away with a lot and quietly seethe on the inside because I just can't bring myself to confront them on their bad behavior.  I have noticed, though, that the older I get the less likely I am to suffer fools in silence.

Have a great Saturday and enjoy this warm weather!  I am off to a charity auction with my Mom today.

Join in the Saturday 9 fun here.

18 comments:

  1. Two hours at Christmastime. I hope you really loooved that restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is well worth the drive. The food is excellent...and there is a lot of shopping nearby. ;)

      http://www.springfields.com/springfield-grille-boardman-oh/

      Delete
  2. I am like you, I try to avoid being in the spotlight but do it when needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if it's needed and there is no one else but me to do it....

      Delete
  3. The cloud mystifies me. I know it's there but I don't have a clue how to access it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It confuses me. I save work and I have no idea if it went to the cloud or a file I can find or somewhere else. It's a bit of pain. Usually I just print a copy out and save that.

      Delete
  4. #4--yes! The companionship is much more important than the meal, unless I've driven 2 hours for the meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the first time I went to that restaurant I was with a car load of friends...the two paired beautifully for a really fun time.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about having to hold things in. Some battles just are not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your answer to #4 ... the locale being secondary to the company. What's more priceless than good friends?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your answers! Yes to #4, though I like entertaining at home too. I often wonder just where the "cloud" actually is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind entertaining at home, either. As for the cloud...I imagine it's some nebulous thing floating out in space collecting all our data to use against us...or just to lose it all.

      Delete
  8. I prefer a hard drive to the cloud, too, and I refuse to pay for Office 360. I'm still using Word 2007 and (Outlook 2003). The old programs still work, they're just "not supported" whatever that means. If I wanted my stuff out there for the world to see, then I'd put it there, but I greatly prefer a hard drive and a backup external drive to the cloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never owned Word...it's always been installed on the computers I've had till I got my current laptop. Subscribing to Office 360 was pretty much my option. I hate the cloud, but since MS links pretty much all its products (not to mention FB and quite a few I didn't know they were in cahoots with) I do have quite a lot of options. And it's cheap...only $7/month.

      Delete
  9. The cloud is a set of servers, with super safe encryption.
    But there are nice programs, like Word Perfect, that let you import off the web, even images, and store all on the hard drive. It was my first word processor and still in use. Newer versions may be set up differently, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your answers. I am also the same way on question 9. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.