April 27, 2019

Saturday 9: Every Time You Go Away

Good morning! I'm linking up with Crazy Sam for the Saturday 9 today.

Saturday 9: Every Time You Go Away (1985)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about separation. Who is the last person you said goodbye (or maybe just "so long") to?  My friend, Fran, when I dropped her at her home after our day out yesterday.

2) This week's featured artist, Paul Young, was a gifted athlete during his school days and briefly played professional football (aka soccer). Sam enjoys playing tennis, though her serve doesn't give Serena Williams anything to worry about. What's something you enjoy doing, even if you don't excel?  I used to love all kinds of sports and was fairly good at them, but that was years ago. These days I enjoy more creative endeavors even though my artistic talent is debatable. 

3) Mr. Young and his wife Stacy were married for 31 years, until her death in 2018. What do you think is the key to a happy marriage?  My husband and I will be married for 35 years this year and the number one thing we have struggled with is his tendency to put his work ahead of everything else. Nearly every low period in our history can be linked to that. So, I'd say the most important thing is to make the marriage a priority. Don't put work or kids or friends or anything else before it. If you can do that, then you can work on all the rest like loyalty, compromising, shared interests, etc.

4) Paul Young's performance of this hit song was one of the highlights of the July 1985 Live Aid Concert. This international benefit raised more than $100 million to alleviate hunger in Ethiopia. Tell us about a charity you support.  We give to Wounded Warriors, Paralyzed Veterans, Goodwill, the Salvation Army, and Compassion International on a regular basis and various others as moved to do so.

5) This song was written by Daryl Hall, of Hall and Oates. What's your favorite Hall and Oates song?  Hmmm....probably Rich Girl...or maybe You Make My Dreams Come True.

6) In 1985, when this song was popular, the New Coke was unsuccessfully introduced. What's the last beverage you drank?  Diet Coke. It's my version of that first cup of coffee in the morning.

7) In 1985, the New York Stock Exchange had to close because of Hurricane Gloria. Has a hurricane shared your name? (Find a list of recent/upcoming storm names here.)  No, and it doesn't seem to be on the list for the future.

8) 1985 was the year that the Titanic wreckage was discovered. There have been at least 11 movies and TV shows about the fatal voyage. Have you seen any of them?  I've only watched the big movie everyone knows once. The end really bugged me. Why couldn't she have shared that hunk of wood she was floating on? I've probably seen a couple of other documentaries about recovering stuff from the wreck, but I don't know the names.

9) Random question: Would you rather own and run a coffee shop or a shoe store? Why?  That's easy....a shoe store! Why? Because I don't like coffee and well, because....SHOES!!!

14 comments:

  1. Your answer to #3 interested me. My parents had a long, unhappy marriage, and the one thing they agreed on is that she put more work into being a mother than she did into being a wife. He was disappointed that she put us before him. She was disappointed that they were unable to raise their daughters *together.* With time, I can see how sad this must have been for both of them (though as one of their kids, I think WE would have been happier if they'd divorced).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many mothers do that or at least do it some of the time. There is a danger that once we become mothers we sort of put the marriage on the back burner. Husbands have to guard against getting their validation from work so that they pour all into it. It's a lot of work and give and take. I can see where you "kids" would have been happier if they had divorced. I think it should be a last resort, but sometimes it's the only thing left to do.

      Delete
  2. I can relate to your answer to #3... I agree with SHOES.. but I don't think I could deal with touching other peoples feet! Have a great Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be the kind of shoe store where you try the shoes on yourself.

      Delete
  3. Hmmmm, I guess I don’t know the ending of that Titanic. Work can definitely mess with a marriage. I always liked sports, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! I am glad to see someone giving to our Veterans! We need to do that as well. They are so important. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The veterans are always first with us. How can we do any less when they risk their lives?

      Delete
  5. I knit hats and socks for the veterans home, I forget to count that in my charitable giving. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! That definitely counts. My mom and her knitting club knit hats and scarves for soldiers. I don't think they've done anything for veterans yet.

      Delete
  6. Your husband sounds much like my father. I think growing up in a broken family - then living through the Great Depression, he wanted the best for my mother and me … even if it meant working two back-to-back jobs. I'd give anything to have known him better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know growing up poor in a large family is what drives Tim. It's his way of showing he loves us. He just can't seem to get that we want him, not stuff.

      Delete
  7. My husband also tends to put other things before me - but we compromise. Sort of. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We can go into the shoe business together!! LOL I always enjoy your posts, Stacy. Thanks for noticing that my Saturday 9 posted on Friday instead of Sat. Too far ahead! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.