October 27, 2018

Saturday 9: Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Saturday 9: "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" Theme



This week's song was chosen because this is the last Saturday 9 before Halloween. Are you unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) The Master of Suspense, Alfred Hitchcock, was born in England. Name another pop culture contribution England has made.  The Beatles, James Bond, 80's New Wave music....

2) This week's song is recognized as the theme to Hitchcock's long-running TV show, but "Funeral March for a Marionnette" is a classic piece written for piano in the late 1870s by Charles Gounod. Do you often listen to classical music?  No, not often.
3) Janet Leigh's shower scene in  Hitchcock's Psycho is considered one of the scariest sequences ever filmed. What's the most frightening movie you've ever seen?  Timing is everything. Jaws traumatized me when I first saw it and 40 years (give or take a couple of years) later I am still so scared of sharks I refuse to get in the ocean.
4) Hitchcock admitted that he "never trusted birds," and he took that fear and turned it into a movie, The Birds. Is there a member of the animal kingdom that just gives you the creeps?  Sharks and snakes....though after reading James Patterson's Zoo I may not look at any animal quite the same again!





5) Halloween will soon be upon us. Will you carve a jack o'lantern this year?  No.


6) What candy will trick or treaters get at your house? A mix of "fun-sized" Kit-Kats, Hershey Bars, 100K bars, and Reese's. 

7)  When you went trick or treating, did you prefer fantasy costumes (like a storybook character) or scary ones (like a monster)?  I usually dressed more creatively in costumes I pulled together. For example, my senior year of high school I wore a black one-piece swimsuit, black hose, and black Candies with construction paper ears and a tail made from cotton balls. I was a Playboy Bunny!

8)  Which candy was your favorite? Which one were you disappointed to find in your trick or treat bag? I loved Clark Bars and wasn't thrilled to find anything with nuts or coconut.

9) Which do you find scarier -- cemeteries or haunted houses?  I actually like cemeteries and enjoy walking through them looking at the gravestones so I guess that leaves "haunted" houses by default.

18 comments:

  1. https://500words500days.wordpress.com/

    I do like cemeteries as well. An ex pastor of ours got me started by going and looking at the names and the ages! I went to a haunted house ONCE, my sr year of high school. THAT was in 77. Now I hear they grope the people and touch and grab them. NO WAY. Have a good weekend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter and I spent a summer a couple of years ago going around and taking pictures of tombstones for the Find a Grave website. It was really interesting!

      Delete
  2. Oh! You as a Playboy Bunny! I hope the weather was nice that year, so you didn't have to keep that costume covered by a coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice,but the guy I was hoping to impress with the outfit didn't show up at the party.

      Delete
  3. I was scared of the movie Jaws too. Now that I live in Mass., I can't stop myself from thinking of it. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also scared by Jaws and look at scenes today and laugh. It just looks so fake. Haahaha. I did not watch the new one though.
    I find cemeteries peaceful. I had to pick haunted house as well. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! The worst is Jaws 3D. The 3D effects are sooooo bad.

      Delete
  5. You're giving out a yummy mix of candy! I might have to look for that. Of course, I don't have trick or treaters, they would be for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't come that way. I just bought all our favorites and mixed them...so we'd like what is leftover.

      Delete
  6. We have that same mix of candy, but not to give out! LOL We don't get kids here in our 55+ community and that's fine with me. All the churches to Trunk or Treat and the major shopping areas all have parades and candy. Kids don't have to take chances in neighborhoods anymore. Cemeteries and haunted houses don't scare me. Fun questions and I enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ended up with all of our candy left. Not that many kids were out due to the cold and rain, but those that were out were out at the same time we were out.

      Delete
  7. I have never seen Jaws, nor have I ever wanted to, and I don't watch Shark Week on Discovery when it's on. But I'm not really scared of sharks . . . just not fascinated by them. Or so I tell myself, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not fascinated, either. I never turn on Shark Week and even looking at the big ones at the aquarium makes me nervous.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I want to go trick-or-treating at YOUR house! :) I'd not considered James Bond .007 … that's a good one! That Playboy Bunny idea is great ... one of my former coworkers was hired and went through 'bunny school' then wound up quitting before she ever started work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over, we didn't get any trick or treaters so there's a lot of candy here. Huh....you don't meet an almost bunny every day!

      Delete
  9. That Playboy Bunny thing is funny. I can't imagine a costume like that today yet back in the day it was seen. Happy Halloween Stacy!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.