August 14, 2018

10 Books on Tuesday

I am a reader. I love books. I love everything about books. Don't get me wrong, I have a NOOK and it's...okay, but there is nothing as satisfying as holding a real book in my hands. I like the weight of it, the feel of the cover...whether it's a slick, paper dust jacket or an older leather cover. I like the smell of a new book and even the musty, funky smell of an old book. I like the sound of a page turning and the feel of it on my fingertips. I like to look at my shelves and see my favorite books lined up, ready and waiting to be read again or shared. (I will share my books, but we will have problems if you damage one by being careless or fail to return one.)

You get the idea....I LOVE ME SOME BOOKS! So, for this week's Tuesday 10 I'm going to share 10 of my all-time favorite books. Some are chosen because of the story they tell and some are chosen because they've been life changing.

In no particular order:

Lottery by Patricia Wood

I can't remember how this book ended up in my hands. It wasn't a best seller or one that I ever remember anyone talking about, but man, it should have been and they should have been. In my humble opinion, this book should be a modern classic and required reading in schools.

Lottery is the story of Perry L. Crandall, who is not retarded. You have to have an IQ of 75 or less to be retarded and Perry's IQ is 76. Perry is raised by his very wise grandmother who loves him as he is and teaches him some very important life lessons that will be his guide when she passes away and Perry is on his own in the world. Relying on those lessons Perry forges a life that goes beyond what probably everyone, including Perry himself, thought he could have. 

I found myself getting emotionally involved with the characters, crying over the tragedies and cheering wildly for Perry's triumphs. When the last page turned over, I was left feeling very satisfied and my faith in humankind got a little bump up.


Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

This year marks the 150th anniversary of Little Women and clicking the title above will take you to a page where you can pre-order a special edition copy due out on September 25. 

The book is notable for its depiction of genteel life in the 19th century and because its main character, Jo March, challenges traditional female roles.

As an only child, the relationship between the 4 March sisters was especially interesting to me. I was fascinated by the way they were always there for each other in spite of the situations and emotions at play. I also strongly identified with Jo's unorthodox behavior and love of writing.



Completely life changing and it continues to be my guide though life. It's not a musty old tome, out of touch and irrelevant to today's world...it is the inspired, living, and totally relevant Word of God and it applies to everything in life.

I own many different Bibles in several translations. Some I have because they are easier reading, some are more accurately translated from the original Hebrew and Greek so are best for deep studies, some are made with large blank spaces for notes, some are filled with articles of insight by noted Christians, one is even for coloring (which gives you time to meditate on the verse), and a couple are sentimental...like the first Bible I ever owned and a beautiful leather study Bible given to us by friends.

Growing up I was taught to take care of my Bible and not bend the pages or write in it. I've gotten over that. The pages of my Bibles are written on, underlined, and highlighted. They make my mother, the former librarian, cringe. LOL



This study has done more for my Christian life than any other I've ever done. It is scripture intensive and the daily "homework" often takes more than one day to complete, but it was so worth it. It made me take a long, hard look at myself and change a few things. It also made me see a lot of things in a new and different way than I'd ever considered them before. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I like to think I've come out of it a better person and a more mature Christian.






And now to save time (this is taking me waaaaay too long):



To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

A beautifully written book that examines a difficult time in our history.







Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

The sweeping saga of Scarlett O'Hara and how she survives the upheaval of the Civil War.








We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

Not a happy book, it follows the destruction of a family, but it's wonderfully written even though the story is painful.








Because we should never forget.









One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

Because it's the first book in the Stephanie Plum series, which I love. The whole series is hilarious...like, laugh-out-loud-so-people-look-at-you-and-wonder-what's-wrong-with-you funny.







Sandstorm by James Rollins

Also chosen because it's the first in a series. James Rollins' Sigma Force is a covert arm of the Defense Department that combines high tech, cutting edge science fact with fiction to take readers on fast paced adventures.

These books need to be made into movies. 

Seriously. Could somebody get on that?

6 comments:

  1. The Holy Bible! I was surprised to see it on your book list. It is like no other book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it isn't. There is something new there for me every time I open it.

      Delete
  2. My goodness, but your sensory descriptions make me want to run out about buy a 'real' book!

    I, too, love the Stephanie Plum series. Both To Kill and Mockingbird and Lottery are on my 'to read' list; tho' I'll admit to favorite the latter.

    Are you familiar with The One in a Million Boy? Someone on blogland reviewed it … I felt a sense of obligation … then wound up giving it 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaargh … I'm not really as illiterate as this comment reads. 'Must start using a real keyboard and kick auto correct to the curb!

      Delete
    2. "Real" books are the best!
      Stephanie Plum is the best, though I admit the last few have felt like Evanovich has kind of lost her enthusiasm. Her two other series are pretty good, though, so I'm surviving.
      You're talking to the girl whose hometown gets auto-corrected to "Latrine."

      Delete
  3. Fun fact- I have all the Stephanie Plum books on my shelf... & have yet to read one of them. YIKES. Maybe that will be my winter goal

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.