March 30, 2018

Saturday 9: Easter Parade

There's so much to do this weekend, but I'm carving out some time to join in with Sam and the rest of the gang for the Saturday 9 and a little Easter fun. Thanks, as always, for a great song and questions, Sam. I don't know how you find the time to come up with all the background info and questions based on each song.

Ok, let's get at it and if you enjoy it be sure to visit the Saturday 9 site to find links to all the other bloggers playing along. Maybe you'd even like to play along? Please do. We love making new friends!


Saturday 9: Easter Parade ("In Your Easter Bonnet") (1948)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a special Easter hat to be worn with your "Sunday best." Will you be getting dressed up this weekend?

No.  We don't attend a church right now so I won't be dressing up for a service and we're a pretty casual family. We don't dress up for family holidays. 

I loved this song for some reason when I was a kid. Maybe because we still dressed up for Easter. I always got a new dress, hat, and purse for Easter. I think there were a few years that I wore gloves, too. I don't remember doing any of that except the dress beyond the very early 1970s.  The Easter dress didn't go by the wayside until the 80s.  After that, I'd still dress up but didn't get a new dress every year.


2) Judy Garland's partner in this movie was supposed to be Gene Kelly, but he was unavailable because he broke his ankle playing volleyball. Have you ever lost a big opportunity because of a medical issue?

Maybe.  I interviewed for a job at Cedar Point (a huge amusement park in Ohio) when I was in college.  Unfortunately, I was sick as a dog the day of the interviews and only found out later in the day that I was running a fever of 105! I ended up spending a week in the infirmary, missed my mid-terms, and was still not well for at least two weeks after being released and sent home.  I didn't exactly make the greatest impression in that condition. I was very disappointed at the time.

3) Garland later confessed that, at first, she would have preferred Kelly because she knew him well and was intimidated by Fred Astaire. By the end of filming, she found she enjoyed Astaire a great deal. Can you think of a friend with whom you had a rocky relationship at the beginning?

No. I can't think of any that started out rocky.  I can think of a few that ended rocky.
 
4) This song was inspired by New York City's Easter Parade. Does your community host a similar event?

No. We have the biggest 4th of July parade in the region and a decent Christmas parade. I don't think an Easter parade is in the budget.


5) The biggest chocolate Easter egg was made in Italy, measured 34 feet tall and weighed a staggering 15,000 lbs. Do you thinks it's possible to have too much chocolate?

Well, I do love my chocolate, but yes, I do think you can have too much of a good thing.

6) Jelly beans are also popular this time of year. A 2013 poll tells us that red is by far the favorite jelly bean color, with yellow a distant second. Do you have a preference?

I like the orange ones (and will throw the black ones away!), unless we're talking about Jelly Belly Beans....then I like the light green, pear flavored ones.


7) We've been talking a lot about sweets this morning. The only holiday that generates more candy sales is Halloween. When do you eat more candy: Easter or Halloween?
Probably at Halloween because that candy is in the house for a while.  The Easter candy goes home with the grandkids...if they don't eat it all while they are here.  (My son's kids are only allowed candy on holidays/special occasions so when they get their hands on it they go a little nuts.

8) Easter is considered the season of rebirth. What makes you feel refreshed or rejuvenated?

Spending time praying and reading the bible, rocking out to a favorite song on the radio, summer mornings, a great day with family or friends, a road trip with no plan, the last day of the school year....knowing that I am on vacation for the next 3 months.


9)  This year, April Fool's Day happens to coincide with Easter Sunday. Do you expect to fall victim to any pranks this weekend?

No. We've never been big prankers, but I did consider this one.



Thanks for playing along. Have a great day!

16 comments:

  1. You're right -- Halloween candy lingers longer.

    We need to find someone who loves black licorice jelly beans so we they can enjoy our cast offs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom does, but she can't have the sugar these days. I refuse to eat something that looks like the Easter Bunny pooped it.

      Delete
  2. Isn't that the amusement park that was on the Brady Bunch? Sorry you were so sick. It's a good thing you went to the infirmary. I remember mono going around in college and I took my finals with it. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. I Googled it, that was Kings Island. I've never been to that one. Yeah, the nurse took my temperature while I was still in the waiting room and freaked. I still don't know what I had. I guess it wasn't mono because a girl in the next bed had that and they kept saying about it. They never told me what I had. Heck, they never called my parents to tell them or took the ice packs they packed me in out of the bed (after two days I pushed them out onto the floor and they were still there when I left). Thanks, I hope you have a nice Easter, too!

      Delete
  3. I keep seeing that grape wrapped like eggs prank and think it's clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally would have done it when my kids were little. I don't have that much time or energy these days.

      Delete
  4. Grapes wrapped in candy paper... brilliant but what a lot of work!! I enjoyed your answers, Stacy! Keep those black jelly beans for me please!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all yours! Or would be if I had even bought any this year.

      Delete
  5. One time I got pneumonia when I was starting a new job and I was out of work for a month, I thought that I lost my job but they kept it open forme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they did. That would have been really awful of them to let you go for illness.

      Delete
  6. Happy Relaxed and informal Easter, Stacy. I enjoyed reading your answers so much! The black jelly beans are the only ones I actually like! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and the same to you. You're going to have to fight Terri for those nasty black beans!

      Delete
  7. I got mono once right when I started a new job, I had forgotten until I read your story. I didn't lose the job, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got to keep yours. I never even got mine, though in retrospect, I can only imagine how I must have looked and acted at the interview with a fever of 105. They probably thought I was drunk or on drugs.

      Delete
  8. Lovin' your responses to #8, Stacy. Simple pleasures!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.