January 13, 2018

Sunday Stealing: Let's Talk

We're hibernating again here. We went from 65 degrees on Friday to about 15 degrees on Saturday with 6 inches of snow and down to 2 degrees overnight. What better time to answer some Sunday Stealing questions. Thanks to Bev for coming up with them week after week!



Here are some conversation starters, stolen from Conversation Starters



1. What are some small things that make your day better?  Time to do devotions first thing in the morning, green lights on the way to work, seeing the sun rise over the ridge, my dog's excited greeting, mail that isn't junk or a bill, a call from a friend.

2. What shows are you into?
The Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon, Scorpion, Fixer Upper, House Hunters, American Pickers.

3. What TV channel doesn’t exist but really should?
I can't think of anything. I really don't watch much TV. How about a channel with shows that are clever and entertaining without explicit sexual content, excessive cursing, violence, and the like. Sometimes it would be nice to not be bombarded with that stuff. And not old classics. Surely, it's possible to make new shows like that. I'm not a prude but there is more to life than that.

4. Who has impressed you most with what they’ve accomplished?  While I'm not really a fan of some of her views, I do give Oprah Winfrey credit for coming from a childhood of trauma and adversity to becoming one of the wealthiest and most powerful women on the planet.

5. What age do you wish you could permanently be?  At one time I might have said 35 - 40, but then the grandkids happened and I wouldn't want to miss out on them so I'll just say this age, which is 53, is just fine.

6. What TV show or movie do you refuse to watch?  I can't think of anything specific at the moment, but as a rule, I don't watch horror or anything with extreme violence.

7. What is something that is considered a luxury, but you don’t think you could live without?  My car, the microwave, my laptop, and the brushed fleece sheets I just bought last week (they are sooooo snuggly and warm).

8. What’s your claim to fame?
  I don't think I really have one, but I'm known in the family for my cooking and baking.

9. What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way?
  I look up phone numbers in the phone book rather than use my cell phone to search for them.

10. What’s your favorite genre of book or movie?  I like mysteries, but romantic comedies run a close second.

11. How often do you people watch?
  Well, I see people everywhere I go, but to purposely people watch...not very often.

12. What have you only recently formed an opinion about?  I've been trying some new recipes and forming some definite opinions on them.

13. What are you interested in that most people haven’t heard of?
I can't think of anything. If I'm interested, I'm sure you've heard of it.

14. What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?  Arizona.

15. What is the most heartwarming thing you’ve ever seen?  Our youngest grandson's face anytime he sees his mommy or daddy after they've been apart for even a short while. He just lights up with love.

16. What is the most annoying question that people ask you?
  What are you doing?  I don't know why, but there it is.

17. What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation?  I've done enough of it in the past, that I'm sure I could present something on the Bible. Other than that I could probably blather on about journaling, books, flea markets/auctions/yard sales, gardening, and cooking. Although...I loathe public speaking and usually end up a nervous wreck so my mind might go completely blank if I don't have notes.

18. If you were dictator of a small island nation, what crazy dictator stuff would you do?  Everyone would have to greet each other with hugs, manners and basic respect would be required of everyone, and everyone would be required to serve a couple hours of community service each week.

19. What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives?  Take a driving trip across and around the United States. Stop at all the sights along the way...the "normal" ones and the kitschy ones.  Talk to the people along the way. Try the local foods. Do things you'd normally never do.

15 comments:

  1. I love your answer to #1. That's why my cousin and I still send one another letters instead of email -- just so that every now and then there's something personal in our mail. I handwrite mine, and it's becoming harder to find notecards! I used to get them in charity fundraising solicitations all the time, but no more.

    PS I liked All the Money in the World. I was fascinated by Christopher Plummer, who was brought in at the last moment to reshoot all Kevin Spacey's scenes. Capt. Von Trapp plays a very complex and bad man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love letters and writing them, but sadly, there is no one left in my life who writes them and being a bit stubborn, I don't write to you if there's no chance I'll ever get a letter in return.

      Thanks for your take on All the Money.

      Delete
  2. I love your answers and I would definitely live on your island!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your island, too. Nice people have nice islands, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a method that worked for me when I was a youth leader. I had a group of very diverse kids at one point, who all seemed determined to NOT get along. I hammered them with team building exercises, affirmation exercises, and generally made them interact and they ended up being the most tight-knit group of kids I've ever worked with. They liked each other, cared about each other, watched out for one another. It was a wonderful thing to witness.

      Delete
  4. This is a great post, Stacy! My favorites? #1, #3, 315 and #18. Especially #19 ... reminds me of my favorite columnist's posts (SeanDietrich.com). Have you considered writing a column professionally? Another of my blog friends does just that part-time for the local newspaper (http://www.rickwatson-writer.com/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I will check out Sean's posts. I went to school for journalism so, yeah, writing professionally has crossed my mind a time or two. It just hasn't seemed to be my path in life.

      Delete
  5. Your 18 and 19 are spot on! I enjoyed your answers, Stacy! I have decided to not blog on Sundays anymore but I'll still be visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about that, too, but that's one of the only times I think I have OCD. The idea of skipping when I know it's there gives me stress. Kind of like when my Farmville plants and animals died. LOL

      Delete
  6. "What are you doing" would send up some hairs on anyone's back, especially if the any one of the words was said louder than the others. I, too, like your island. As long as there were no politicians there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah. I want to come and live on your island too! And I have to admit I was worried about "Young Sheldon" and am pleased that it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried, too. It could have been very cheesy and bad, but they did a great job on it.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.