January 5, 2018

Saturday 9: I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm

Well....we certainly need something to keep us warm this weekend with temperatures falling below zero and the windchill at dangerous levels.  I don't know that love will do the job, but at least the Saturday 9 gives us something to do while we're stuck inside.  

Be sure to head over and thank Sam for thinking up the questions week after week at the Saturday 9 site. You'll find the rules to play along and links to the other players there.


Saturday 9: I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm (2006)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) Bette Midler sings about the storm that's raging outside. How's the weather where you are today?  Cold. Frostbite inducing cold. I'm doing this a bit before midnight on Friday evening and tomorrow will not be any better. It was so cold that ALL of the public schools in most of the western half of Pennsylvania closed today (the eastern half closed due to the storm that moved up the coast). It's been cold all week. I am over winter already...and there's still a lot of winter to go. Not good.


2) She mentions her gloves. Tell us about your favorite pair of gloves or mittens.
I've always liked my Isotoner driving gloves, but I got a pair of Isotoner mittens in my Christmas stocking. They have a fleece lining and have a layer in the middle that makes them water resistant. They are so warm and toasty! I've really appreciated that this week.

3) Does your home have a fireplace to keep you warm?
  We have a pellet stove and it has been burning nonstop whenever I am home. It makes a huge difference as it is a constant heat, rather than the off and on of a furnace. Ours also has a thermostat so I can set it for a heat and it adjusts the intensity of the fire automatically to keep it steady.

4) Bette's father, Fred, supported his family as a house painter. Have you ever held a job that kept you outdoors a great deal of the time?
  Only a summer job back in high school. I worked in the Pocono Mountains as part of the Youth Conservation Corps the summer before my senior year. It was hard work, but I loved it.

5) Her mother, Ruth, was a talented seamstress. How about you? Can you sew on a button? Raise a hem? Darn a hole?
No. I still take such things to my mom. When she is gone I'm going to have to throw things away and buy new ones. Or pay someone else.

6) 2017 was a big year for Bette. At the age of 72, she opened on Broadway in the revival of Hello, Dolly! and won a Tony. As we kick off 2018, what would you like to accomplish this year?
  I want to continue to lose weight...this is the year the bathroom remodel will get done (or the you-know-what is going to hit the fan)...and I'd really like to go through the kitchen and do a big purge.


7) Bette and her husband Martin have been married for nearly 34 years. Their wedding was officiated by an Elvis impersonator. Are you looking forward to any weddings in 2018? No, both of our kids are now married as are all of our nieces and nephews.


8) Bette and Martin are very proud of their daughter, Sophie, now 30, who graduated from Yale in 2008. Do you expect to attend any graduation ceremonies in 2018? No.

9) Random question: Yesterday, who did you spend the most time with?  Me, myself and I. My husband worked, and the rest of the world was holed up inside trying to stay warm. I did run some groceries over to our daughter late in the day because they have all had the flu or some such nasty virus all week. I took our grandson a stuffed camel I saw at the store and he loved it!






14 comments:

  1. He does love that camel, doesn't he? And why not? It's both a friend and a pillow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought. If I wasn't 53 I'd have wanted one, too.

      Delete
  2. OMG!!! What cutie :) I think that the cold weather here would certainly be more tolerable if there wasn't snow and ice all over the place and going nowhere. We are expecting a 'heat wave' of like 30's next week...knock on wood... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds exactly like here, but I think we're to get more snow with those "warm" temps. Yay. Not.

      Delete
  3. We got 20 inches of snow on Thursday/Friday and sub-zero temps Friday/Saturday. I'm with you--I am so over winter and it's just starting! Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? We didn't have to get the whole winter in one week!

      Delete
  4. Cold down here in VA, too. I love the camel. I think you should have one at home for when the kiddo comes to visit. Yeah. That's a good reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about it...it's so soft and squishy and you can get away with all kinds of things when you say it's for the kids. LOL

      Delete
  5. What a darling little boy. I'll bet he loved that camel;it's really cute and toddler friendly.
    Learning to mend and alter things is dead easy. You can do it. It's not hard at all.
    My twin dd was a group leader in the CCC, and she loved the work. She was in it for three years. They may have called it the hardest job you'll ever love. and they were right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I only got to work the one summer as the program was cut from the federal budget the following year. Had it not been, I would have gone back as long as they'd have me. I loved it, too.

      Delete
  6. Isotoner driving gloves are the best, aren't they? I've (obviously) not needed them for the last 15 years, but I won't be getting rid of them.

    Never heard of a pellet stove! I want an electric fireplace for our new home, but this sounds like it might be more economical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it's more economical or not, but it's easier than wood. We can buy 40lb. bags of pellets by the ton (about $220) or just a few bags (about $5 each) at a time. One bag usually lasts roughly 24 hours but with this crazy cold they're burning faster. The pellet stove still has to have electricity to feed the pellets from the hopper and to run the blower...still less than the furnace, I guess, and if you wanted to it is possible to power them on a car battery.

      Delete
  7. Those grandson/camel photos are ADORABLE!! We are cold here (for us) and I am over it. I can't even think about being up north again and dealing with snow and ice and ridiculous temperatures! Enjoyed your answers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who lives in the panhandle and is a water rat, always out on his boat. The cold is killing him...he can't brag about warm weather and boating. lol

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.