December 13, 2017

The Wednesday Hodgepodge: Get Your Ho, Ho, Ho On!

I'm joining in with Joyce and the gang over at From This Side of the Pond for the Wednesday Hodgepodge.






1. 'Hurry less, worry less'...what's your strategy for making that happen this holiday season? How's it going so far?  You caught me. I don't really have a strategy, but two things help. One, I'm not hosting Christmas so the house doesn't have to be perfect and two, I've gotten to a point where I'm good with whatever gets done being enough. No one else ever notices or cares about all the little details I used to stress over so why kill myself to get them done? If I get it done, great and if I don't....well, Christmas won't be ruined so there's no point in stressing.

2. Do you have a list of to-dos that need accomplishing in order to prepare your home and/or property for the winter season? What are some of the jobs on your list? Are you a do-it-yourselfer or do you hire someone to accomplish these tasks?  It's not really much of a list. We just clean up the gardens, put away the deck furniture, and clean out the pellet stove so it's ready to go...and yes, we do it ourselves.

3. According to dietitians surveyed, the most popular health foods for 2018 will be -turmeric, sprouted foods (bean sprouts, breads with sprouted grains, etc), veggies in place of grains, dairy free milk, and pulses (lentils, chickpeas, etc). What's the first thought that ran through your head when you read this list? Of the foods listed which one might you add to your regular diet? Also, can milk really be dairy free? Is it still milk? Well, the sprouted stuff doesn't sound appetizing, though I will throw some bean sprouts on my salad at a buffet if they have them. Other than that, I already take a turmeric capsule every day, drink almond milk (I don't know if it's still "milk" but the chocolate stuff is delicious and satisfies a craving for sweets), and I like chickpeas if they are in the form of hummus.

4. The Pantone Color of the Year for 2018 is Ultra Violet. According to the Pantone site 'Ultra Violet communicates originality, ingenuity, and visionary thinking pointing us to the future.' What say you? Do you like the color purple? Did you see the movie or read the book-ha!?  Is purple a color you wear often? Describe for us one purple item in your home without using the word purple.  If you were in charge of such things what color would you select for 2018?  I loved the color purple when I was a young girl. My bedroom had "African Violet" shag carpet and ruffled bedspread, shams, and curtains that deepened from a light lilac to a deep purple. I always wanted the purple one...no matter what "it" was. No, I haven't read the book or watched the movie. I don't wear purple often, more because it hasn't been an offered color for a while. I've seen some of the new clothes and purses coming out in purple. I LIKE!  There is nothing purple in my home that I can think of.  I'd just leave Ultra Violet the color of the year. It's been off the grid for a while...time to bring it back.

5. Favorite book read this year?  
Driven by Eternity by John Bevere

6.  Insert your own random thought here. 
Today is our youngest grandson's 1st birthday. He had a big party on Sunday so no real celebrations today, but lots of love. He has sure brightened our lives and we can't imagine not having him around.


Dec. 13, 2016

Dec. 11, 2017

11 comments:

  1. I AM hosting Christmas but it's just my parents coming this time so it doesn't have to be too organized, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since our daughter now hosts, the pressure is off and that is sooo nice!

      Delete
  2. Your grandson is adorable in his little elf outfit. Aren't grandsons just the most wonderful thing. Mine makes me so happy every time I see him or even a picture of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same about all our grands, but have to admit there is something extra with this guy since we see him all the time.

      Delete
  3. I can't,believe the little guy is a year old. Crazy!!!
    Yes,,give me all the hummus!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend makes the yummiest garlic hummus and gave all of us in Bible study the recipe. Now she's gone and managed to copy the hummus from a restaurant we like. It has chickpeas and artichoke...and the garlic, of course. It's just as good, but lighter, which I like.

      Delete
  4. Man, that's the cutest elf ever!

    Your teen fascination with the color purple sounds just like my h.s. BF! For some reason, it always reminds me of old ladies in nursing homes. LOL.

    PS - You're the 3rd person to mention tumeric today! I'd better climb on the bandwagon, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you're thinking of the Red Hat ladies? They always wore purple clothes with their red hats.

      I don't even remember what the tumeric is supposed to do. I remember reading about it and thinking I should take it, but.... I can't say that I notice anything, but who knows. It doesn't hurt anything.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, that child is just adorable!! Happy birthday to your little one! I am in total agreement with your #1 answer and I love purple too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little elf is darling! Happy birthday to him! I'm going to look into Tumeric and see what the benefits are in adding that to my diet. Ahh...shag carpet. My sister and I had red in our room and we loved it so much : ) Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. True, no one notices. So whatever I do I have to do to please me! I also drink almond milk, take turmeric and love hummus. So sweet... Happy Birthday to your grandson.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.