January 17, 2018

Wednesday Hodgepodge: The Wish I Was at the Beach Edition


Linking up with Joyce @ From This Side of the Pond
for the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Visit to find links
to posts from other players or to join the fun.



1. What keeps you blogging? The wonderful people I get to "meet." I love that through blogging I'm able to interact with people from all over the country and even the world and that we can share information, our various views, learn from each other, and just have some fun. Also, as someone who has always felt the need to write blogging has been a great platform for that. I've tried to give it up several times over the years and always end up coming back.

2. Some people like to travel in the winter months. Do you enjoy the beach in winter? We lived in Florida for a couple of years when we were first married and we went to the beach at times that would be considered winter, but we really didn't think about it being winter in that climate. I always enjoyed it, so I guess the answer is yes. According to Southern Living the best U.S. beach towns to visit this winter are-

St Simons Island (Georgia), Hilton Head (South Carolina), Bald Head Island (North Carolina), Seaside (Florida), Bay St. Louis (Mississippi), Cape San Blas (Florida), South Padre Island (Texas), Folly Beach (South Carolina), Chincoteague (Virginia), Duck Key (Florida), Nags Head (North Carolina), and Fairhope (Alabama)

Have you been to any of the towns listed (in any season)? Which on the list appeals to you most this winter?  Chincoteague is one of my very favorite spots in the world and our family has vacationed there several times. If we can ever get everyone's schedules to line up, we hope to one day rent a large house and have the whole family go. It would be my first choice from the list, but if I had to pick one I haven't been to I would choose Duck Key. I've been hinting to my husband for a while now that I would like to visit the Florida Keys.

3. What's a song you're embarrassed to know all the lyrics to? The one in the video below. Are you really embarrassed or do just think you should be?  I just think I should be. I'm actually pretty tickled that a cousin of mine was one of the song writers on it.




4. When you were a kid what's something you thought would be fantastic as an adult, but now that you're an adult you realize it's not all that fantastic?  Getting to make all my own decisions about life. Some days "adulting" is just not all that fun.



5. Share a quote you hope will inspire you in 2018.



6. Insert your own random thought here.
  School is on a 2-hour delay today due to the very cold temperatures and less than great road conditions. It's possible that it may go to a cancellation, but if it doesn't I surely hope and pray it is a better day than yesterday.  We went out in the buses on time yesterday in horrible conditions when a delay should have been called. Then on top of that, a threat (that's still all the school district will say) was discovered in a restroom at the senior high and the decision was made to evacuate all the schools in the district to remote safe locations. The students were then bused home from those locations. It was a stressful, hectic, confusing (there really was no rehearsed plan for such a thing in place) day and I was in the bus from 5:45 yesterday morning until 1:00 in the afternoon with no break. At least the roads were cleared by the time we were dealing with that. Snow began again after I got home and my poor husband, who is currently working a 1.5 hour drive from home, left work at 4:30 and didn't get home until 9:30! The roads were THAT bad with accidents all over the place. Still, there's much to be thankful for, as in all those situations everyone was safe.

16 comments:

  1. Goodness!!! I'm not sure where you live but that sounds AWFUL!! This winter has been almost constant cold and snow up here in Michigan, no fun for the drivers.
    Love your quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in the ridges of southwestern Pennsylvania where it typically gets worse than the Pittsburgh area. If my choices are here and Michigan...I think I will stay here. I think you still have us beat!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Sounds like you had quite a day. We were out of school yesterday and the snow didn't start until 2:00 (it was expected to start at 10:00) and we're out today.
    The Keys are marvelous in the winter! Chincoteague...I've never even heard of it before but will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to be pretty bad before school actually cancels around here and it will probably happen even less since this year they finally put an early dismissal plan in place. I have another online friend who spends Christmas in Key West and she makes it sound wonderful. Chincoteague is small and still not terribly commercialized.

      Delete
  3. Wow your day sounds scary and exhausting. We have a little snow falling today and schools are closed. It doesn’t take much down here to wreak havoc. I have been to Assateague but never Chincotague. I love that whole Eastern Va coastline. Stay safe today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too bad, the emergency personnel were great about keeping things low key so the kids stayed calm. The biggest problem was rumors of what was happening and people on Facebook passing them on and not understanding why where the kids were evacuated to shouldn't be announced over social media. Thankfully, today was uneventful. Chincoteague is where the Misty book and movie is set and where the firemen swim the ponies across in July. They auction some of the foals as a fundraiser since they own Chincoteague's herd.

      Delete
  4. Love that quote not wanting to be an adult. I totally get it. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes - what a day! I do hope that you stay safe and warm! If you need a break, I've got 70 degree weather and an ocean view for you out here in CA! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful! Will you write me a note for work? LOL

      Delete
  6. Oh my! What a day you had! I'm so glad you all made it home safe. I agree that adulting is not all it's cracked up to be. Neither is becoming a senior citizen. I keep looking for the silver lining. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I'd have to agree about the senior citizen thing...it sure isn't for sissies!

      Delete
  7. The 'situation' at school would've been unsettling enough, but then add the storm? Holy Hootenanny!

    Great response to #1. My blogging family is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well.....it wasn't exactly a hootenanny. LOL I'm glad today was boring.

      Delete
  8. Stacy, that is some scary stuff in your random! I'm so glad no one was hurt on the roads and that your hubby finally made it home! I do not miss that nasty weather at all. That is a fun song and how cool that you know one of the writers!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.