November 17, 2017

Saturday 9: Son-of-a-Preacher-Man

Joining in with Sam and the gang over at the Saturday 9 and loving this week's song. It brings back memories of riding in the car with mom and singing along with the radio. Thanks Sam for a great choice! 

Saturday 9: Son of a Preacher Man (1968)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
  
1) This song was originally offered to Aretha Franklin, who turned it down. What's the most recent thing that you said "no" to?  The half of a bus run to bring a student in a wheelchair back from the vocational technical school. It ate up the whole middle of my day for just a few dollars. It wasn't worth it so I told my boss to find someone else.
 
2) Two years later, Aretha recorded "Son of a Preacher Man." What's something you changed your mind about?  The mother-of-the-bride gown I bought for our daughter's wedding. I was never thrilled with it and three days before the wedding I bought another dress.

3) This song tells the tale of Billy Ray, a young man who could be very persuasive. If we wanted to change your mind about something, would you be more easily swayed by an emotional argument, or with verifiable facts?  Just the facts ma'am. Emotions can lie and I've been burned by them before.
 
4) If you ordered a "Son of a Preacher Man" in a bar, you'd get a cocktail made with peppermint schnapps, gin and lemonade. When did you last have lemonade? Was it just lemonade, or was it spiked with alcohol?  Sometime back in the summer and it was just lemonade, well...it was some fruit flavored lemonade from Countrytime.  I can't remember what fruit was in the mix, but it was really good. Black cherry?

5) Dusty had a thing for maps. She admired them artistically and enjoyed using them to take long car trips. Do you use printed maps? Or do you rely on technology, like GPS or Google Maps? 
I always used to use an atlas to travel, laying the route out with colored highlighters after looking it up on Google maps.  My car has built in GPS that's really accurate so I've not used maps since I got it.

6) As a girl, she attended convent school. There, one of the nuns discouraged Dusty from performing, telling her that if she would do better to be a mother or a librarian. When you were growing up, did the adults in your world encourage your dreams?
  My grandmother sure did. She was my biggest champion. My parents gave me tons of opportunities, but didn't really encourage my dreams like my grandmother.
   
7) That nun inspired Dusty's first major act of rebellion. In an attempt to make herself look less like a future librarian or housewife, she bleached her hair platinum blonde. In school, were you much of a rebel? Or did you conform to the expectations adults had of you?  Mostly I conformed, I think. I was an overachiever in school, but I had a secret rebellious side. My dad was very strict and very old-school, he was totally against wearing jeans anywhere but at home for play and chores. It was the 70s and 80s so I disagreed which meant I had to sneak jeans to school and change when I got there and back out of them before I got home. I also partied a bit more than my parents ever suspected.

8) Early in her career, Dusty provided the entertainment at a family summer camp. She appeared on the bill with a clown, a fire-eater and a hypnotist. Have you ever been hypnotized?
  They tried in high school in a philosophy or psychology class, but it didn't work.  It didn't work a few years ago when I gave it a shot for weight loss, either.

9) Random question: Have you ever played matchmaker to your friends? If yes, did your efforts lead to romance?  Not for any friends, but I did for my sister-in-law and one of my husband's coworkers. Did it lead to romance? They've been married over 20 years.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being a successful matchmaker! 20 years! Yea!

    I liked hearing about your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine trying to hypnotize my psychology class! Although... hmmm... could it make them study harder??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had your grannie there to prod you along. And congratulations on the matchmaking! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I joke about my GPS when they were just coming out installed in cars, that it was great for coming home from bars... just press the "Home" button.
    (I rarely drink, if I do it is just one drink)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about the facts. And, sometimes those can be skewed. uugghhh... Have a great Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 20 years sounds like a successful matchmaking effort.
    And, Grandparents are people who can be godsends. I'm glad you had a grandmother who encouraged you so much.
    Facts can sometimes be merely perceptions said loudly and often. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, enjoyed hearing about your grandmother! 'Wish I'd have had an opportunity know my own better, longer.

    If we ever get another vehicle, I'd like it to contain GPS. The 'lady' who lives in my cell phone isn't so sharp and often sounds as if she has an attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading your answers, Stacy! These were some interesting ones this week!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.